Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I just got a new:cool:(to me) 2005. The Wing came with a trucker style CB loaded whip antenna:shock:. I haveremoved that one and made (from parts of other Goldwing cb antenna's) a antenna for it,using only parts that came from a goldwing CB antenna.My question is: I know it's longer that the stock CB antenna for the 1800.Does anyone know what the length of the rod that goes from the fold-over to the base of the loading coil,:stumped: so I can cut and thread the rod to the correct length. Unless someone knows how to tune this antenna from the splitter. I am only using a single antenna system.

I have found that I might not have explained it very well that is why I edited my posting

Thanks for any and all help

Brian

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Hi Brian, I see your a fellow ham op. I would first say that not all center coils are the same. That antenna off a truck is more than likely designed for the length it is right now. If you shorten the bottom section you might have a heck of a time tuning the rest of it. If you do have tuning problems when you get done a small match box under the seat could be used to resonate the antenna on 27 mhz.

Good Luck

Tim (Sarge) KØFL
Wichita, Ks

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Tim,

I think I was not very clear on what I have done. So I edited my posting hoping to make it clearer. I am using parts from goldwing cb antenna's and I have used this antenna on my 88 GL1500, but I have one of those splitter/tuner in line so I could use it for both the AM/FM radio and the CB on the GL1500. I noticed that the 1800 has a splitter but you can't tune it. I know that the Antenna has to be adjusted for the SWR, and I want to make it just like the stock antenna.

Hope this clears thing up a little.

Thanks for all the help

Brian

W8TFI

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

All I know is the stock CB and Antenna are balanced to each other from day one. Not much needed if you stick with the stock set up. Once you deviate from what is, you will have to use an SWR meter and obtain adapters and so on to fit the cables and meter . The stock antenna is basically 35 inches long but has also a booster coil on the whip to gain reception and transmit better, without it the CB will not work well.

Longer to start is better, then to balance you just cut off part of it a little at a time.

Kit

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

w8tfi wrote:
Hi Tim,

I noticed that the 1800 has a splitter but you can't tune it. 
Brian

W8TFI
Welcome to the site, please enter your location.

Unless the bike has already had the AM/FM antenna changed to a dual type - there should not be any splitter.

The AM antenna goes direct to the radio under the shelter and the CB antenna goes direct to the CB radio.

I am assuming this is a "standard" Honda CB unit.

Maybe I have misunderstood. :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.