Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an '03 1800. Several months ago, I began having problems with my CB Radio. I can hear my fellow riders clearly, but they say my transmission is very weak and garbled. I have checked the connections under the seat from the radio and the antenna, and have checked the set screws in the antenna. Two Honda dealers told me by phone that the problem may be the radio itself. Is there any thing else I should check first? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

I forgot to mention that I have also checked the helmet connection by using a friend's helmet and cord on my bike, and I got the same transmit problem.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

First thing to do now is check the SWR between the radio and antenna if that is good then its in the radio.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

hey Ron,

let us know what sierra electronics says about the c.b.

nice riding with you guys on sunday:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Sierra said to check the swr, but they think the "final drive" in the cb radio is shot. Got to find someone with a meter and who knows how to use it. It was a great ride Sunday.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

If it is sending a signal and it is garbled then more than likely it is not the CB radio but the antenna system that is the problem. Make sure you check the ground strap in trunk for a crack, about 1 1/2" from the bolt at bottom of trunk, as I am seeing this as a problem.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Don't know if it makes any difference, but the transmission is more "weak" than garbled, but I'll check the strap tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

The garbled transmission maybe due to the weak signal How close are you when transmitting to others? even with bad antenna you will talk 100 feet

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

The distance doesn't seem to matter. The last ride I was on had 15 bikes. The rider just in front of me said the transmission was weak, and the others didn't hear me at all.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

To me it sounds like the finals in your CB are shot. They are the transistors that control the power output when transmitting.
The SWR meter also has a Db/PWR set up (at least on the old ones) that you insert a very small antennae to and walk around the unit when transmitting and you can see the transmitting pattern. A weak indication will tell you if it is the problem.

Good Luck.

:18black:

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
imported post

I agree with Sierra radio discription, it sounds as if you final amps in the radio are out and you maybe just operating on the pre-drivers. Bad finals will cause distorted audio and just operating on the pre-drivers will give you a very weak signal.
if you have access to a SWR meter put it in line and check you antenna system, it will also let you know if your radio is producing any power.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Wayne, the problem may have been solved. I didn't find any crack in the ground strap in the trunk, but I did back out and retighten the bottom ground connection bolt a few times. Afterwards a friend and I went for a short ride to test it at different distances. He said he was able to hear me loud and clear. Thanks for suggesting it may be a ground problem, and thanks to all who offered advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.