Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay this just started. Now when I kek up the CB on my GL-1800 I can hear the RF signal coming through my headset. This started after my hondaline headset went bad after 11 months and Honda would not replace them even though they warranteed them for 1 year. I then stepped down from the Hondline 08B82-MCA-100 to a set of J&M HS-8154B-OF in my helmet so I could keep riding,but the wife still has her Hondaline 08B82-MCA-100 . Was RF from the CB the reason J&M started making better headsets. Are there filters in the new sets we can see or is the cables RF protected to stop this interference. Nothing other than changing headsets and the cord that goes from the headset to the helmet has changed.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

The Hondaline headsets are very old design, and overpriced. I don't think they ever got improved even though J&M make them. The sets that J&M sell themselves have gone through a few updates and improvements, but the Hondalines haven't changed.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Can you give me a better idea of rf in the headsets Do you hear a buzzing sound? Does your wifes headset have the same problem that yours had?

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You actually hear the buzzing and the garbled audio transmission broken up.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

What year ?

There's a factory bulletin that adds some RF-Chokes into the helmet connector pigtails (passenger and driver both) to help reduce common-mode interference in the Audio lines...

Do the people "listening" to your CB transmission also hear the messed-up audio ?

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It's a 2010 GL-1800 factory CB and SWR are as low as I can get this. Stock anetnna loks like center loaded.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well more issue with the CB and RF interference. Sometimes when I push the (push to talk ) button I head the RF radiating in the heasdset and the other person whom I am talking too can hear it too. Any idea of why this jsut started happening and a cure?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Common mode interference is common with AM radio transmission like your CB pushes -- as for "why now" I would investigate grounding of the antenna, radio, and intercom equipment (a ground that checks good with an ohm meter may not appear to be a good ground for RF. I recomment cleaning and retightening ground connections. This should include a cleaning and inspection of the CB radio's coaxial cable to ensure that all conenctions are tight -- if possible, try changing the cable routing to be farther away from any/all audio componants and their harnesses..

Since RF shouldn't be travelling anywhere except to/from your CB antenna, you could add some inductance to your audio signal lines (RadioShack.com link for part concepts) I'd recommend adding the snap-together square ones into the headset pigtails first, sicce this approximates the OEM Recall item mentioned above for this same issue

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yes the other 1989 goldwing I ride with could in fact hear the RF interfernec in his headset and we were hunders of feet apart.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

Does it do it when both music and CB are turned to headset?? If not then usually there is a problem with the audio unit. If it has the noise when both, CB and music, are in the headset then I agree with others that it is a more than likely a ground problem.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Usually I have the SAT radio,CB and Zumo 665 all going at the same time in the headset and yes it happen when these are all on.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

We ran a ground wire from the base of the antenna parallel to the strap to ground. We pulled the bike apart to make sure we had no loose connections and no RF cable was running clsoe to power feeds or an audio cable. We have one thing left to do and that's install the ferrtie chokes from Radio shack onto the headset coils wires to each headset. Testing afterwards will come next. I still don't see how having my cell phone on and in my pocket connected by bluetooth is an issue since they are on entirely different frequencies. Anyway, I let you know the results soon.. Parts should arrive today.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
... I still don't see how having my cell phone on and in my pocket connected by bluetooth is an issue since they are on entirely different frequencies.

It'll be interesting to hear what you com up with for "results" after your efforts...

I'm thinking that the BlueTooth is more of another path that the common-mode intereference could be introduced -- not so much "CB talking BlueTooth", but thatthe CB's AM trash could be bleeding into the phone or one of the BlueTooth amps since they're "live" all the time when connected and passing audio (the connection is a keep-alive protocol, so the "ring" or "music" from your phone is connected to your audio system before the phone reings or the music plays)

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

satan wrote:
Well next question. I bought the ferrite chokes you recommedned from radio Shack and install them onto my headset coiled wire that go from the bikes wiring to the headset in the helmet. Do the ferrite coils have to be tight on the coiled wires or just attached losely. The reason I ask is the chokes were made for 1/4 OD cable and the headset cables are not 1/4" OD
Common mode interference is common with AM radio transmission like your CB pushes -- as for "why now" I would investigate grounding of the antenna, radio, and intercom equipment (a ground that checks good with an ohm meter may not appear to be a good ground for RF. I recomment cleaning and retightening ground connections. This should include a cleaning and inspection of the CB radio's coaxial cable to ensure that all conenctions are tight -- if possible, try changing the cable routing to be farther away from any/all audio componants and their harnesses..

Since RF shouldn't be travelling anywhere except to/from your CB antenna, you could add some inductance to your audio signal lines (RadioShack.com link for part concepts) I'd recommend adding the snap-together square ones into the headset pigtails first, sicce this approximates the OEM Recall item mentioned above for this same issue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.