Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks,

I dont use my CB that much, but I leave it on when I'm on the bike.

What I've noticed is that it does pick up some truckers CB but only when I'm really close or passing them. I thought the CB range should be further?

I have the squelch set to about 9. I notice it picks up various squeaks and burps otherwise.

Rgds,
Eoin

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

On average, about a mile, maybe a bit more if out of town. Not very far.

Kit

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

turn your squelch up until the background crap goes silent, Than turn it just a little more. The farther you turn it up, the stronger the signal must be to punch through your squelch level. If someone is 1 mile away from you, his signal will be weaker than if he was beside you & he might not be able to push past your squelch setting.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

There are many factors that will effect the range of a cb. It is very common for me to talk to stations on the other side of town from my Goldwing (10 miles). As a ham operator one of the first things I did to my new to me 2003 was to make sure the antenna was tuned right. I first made sure the antenna had a good ground wire from the antenna base to the frame. The ground is the couter poise for the cb whip and is a necessary part of the system. Next after buying the adapters to check the VSWR of the antenna system I had to shorten the Honda antenna about an inch to get it under a 1.5 to 1 VSWR. If you look at a power/VSWR meter as you adjust the antenna you'll soon see that most CB's cut back power out put as the VSWR rises. A 5 watt radio with a poor match with the antenna system might only put out1 to 2 watts. Receive will also be greatly effected by a mis-tuned antenna. Set the squelch as mentioned in other posts and when you get time take a good look at your antenna system. I'm sure you''ll be a much happier camper when you give it a tweek.

Have fun

Tim
Wichita, KS

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

We had Sunday 8/02 a Wing run in Pretoria and between the higrise buildings we were able to communicate upto 800 meters max. When we hit the highway and open roads the max was about 2 km.:waving:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Tim - I bought the standard Honda CB and aerial just to be safe - do you think I would need to adjust the length of the standard Honda aerial? I thought they would have been "mated"

I will also check the grounding - good point.

Also - thanks to everyone else for your comments!

Rgds,
Eoin

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Yes my setup is factory cb and antenna. When I started the adjustment my VSWR was about 2.5 - 3 to 1 which is pretty high. Just as important as VSWR which only measures how happy the radio is with the antenna is how efficient the system is. You can have a !.! to ! VSWR into a dummy load with little or no radation of RF or any reception. Get a good ground going, spend the 5 or 6 bucks for the adapters to check your VSWR, and you'll see a difference. As I said before I took off around an inch of antenna on mine. An inch at CB frequencies is a lot! Just be sure to be in the clear (away from buildings or not right next to a metal shed) when you adjust it.

Here is a link that will get you started

http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/wingman26/swr.html

Have fun

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.