Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello guys, I went for a ride today with some friends and only one guy with Harley ultra had a cb on his bike.... Problem I was not able to hear him properly coz the volume was very low ! Cb volume was on highest level but still his voice was very far !!

Is it normal ? Or because its a Haley CB ?! I have 2010 goldwing with oem cb

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

How close to him were you?
What was your squelch set at?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Meters away ... Very close ..... Squelch was between 1-7 (we tried everything) !

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

the problem might have been with his cb,ride with a bunch who always seems to have trouble getting their volumes etc set up

·
1,699 Posts
imported post

I think that this problem is , that many people dont now how to speak to a microfone !
You need to have it close t your lips !

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I had a problem with my radio on my 1200 cutting to low volume once and it was the adjustment for the intercom sensitivity. Possibility?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I dunno guys but he seemed to be knowing how to use his CB and he did say that he didn't have a problem with his hardly group !

Am still waiting for further suggestions from this forum ... Steve ?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I don't have experience with the 1800's, but I can explain what happened on my 1200 a little clearer. The intercom system on the bike has a sensitivity setting that sets how much input you have to have on the microphone for the intercom to activate it (VOX) allowing communication with the other person. This causes other systems using the speakers or headset speakers to reduce their output. That sensitivity control on mine was inadvertently set higher which resulted in my regular stereo acting as if it would not come off mute. On the 1200 that was a simple rotary switch on the radio control face so it was understandable how it was accidentally adjusted. I turned down the sensitivity and the problem was no more.

Another possibility is that some CB's have a gain control for the microphone which sort of controls output of the signal similarly to how the squelch control works with input sensitivity. I don't know if the CB on the Harley would have a gain control but if it did it seems like if it were adjusted for low mic sensitivity, the result would be similar to what you describe.

A CB signal is a CB signal. There shouldn't be a compatibility issue. My group has riders on Honda's and Harley's and there isn't an issue.

That's all I have to offer on this topic. I wish you good luck.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well ... makes sense to me .... Thank you oldwing I will tell that to the Harley guy and I will also try my CB with another goldwing.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

one for more thing to try, if an 18 wheeler is close, ask for
a radio check, the driver will let you know if yours is working. have to be on ch. 19. good luck.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

one for more thing to try, if an 18 wheeler is close, ask for
a radio check, the driver will let you know if yours is working. have to be on ch. 19. good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.