Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had parking lot practice, Alot of stop and go and feathering clutch and brake threw course. When pulled out or lot and on to highway stepped on it to get up to traffic speed and the clutch started slipping. Changed oil and filter only had 2900 miles on oil. Also changed brake fluid in hand cilender, still slipping. Any suggestions
I am driving 2008 gl1800 40000 miles

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum tom75.
Did you change the oil before or after the slippage?
What did you put in for Oil?

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Yes… the oil type can cause slipping.
As Stu asked…. what type of oil are you using?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

When you said that you changed the brake fluid i presume that you changed out the clutch fluid and bled out the complete system with brake fluid dot 4 etc. change out engine oil and filter using a good semi or full synthetic oil.It would be unusual for a 08 with low mileage to have major clutch problems.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

A blocked fluid return port in the master cylinder?
That would hold pressure and be like feathering the clutch.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the welcome, I changed out the clutch fluid with dot 4 and bled the air out.

I used honda line semi synthetic and honda filter as i have since i bought the bike with 22000.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I changed after it started slipping, I only had 2900 miles on ooil ghange

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
A blocked fluid return port in the master cylinder?
That would hold pressure and be like feathering the clutch.
Yeah that would do it. Otherwise he seems to have everything else covered, and that only leaves the possibility that the clutch itself is worn.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I agree, it is very strange that the clutch would be worn out. but i am going to try.

Just for info, a friend of mine said I should check to see if the push rod on the master was seated in the groumit on the clutch handle. I took the clutch handle off and cleaned it and made sure it was in place. Took it out and tried it it was about 65% better but when i got on it hard it still slipped. O well still messen with it.

Thanks guys for the help. Anybody thinks of something else let me no

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

The fact that it improved 65% would point to a clutch ajustment issue not the clutch itself. I have not worked with the clutch on my 1500 yet but there has to be some place in the system for free play. which seems to be lacking for you.
The fact that it started after a lot of low speed clutchwork would neam some thing is probably dirty or gummed up or worn but at the low milage would think more dirty or gumed or just needs ajustment.
Wilf

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

There is no adjustment, the slave cylinder should automatically retract to a point it is not applying any pressure to the clutch. I wouldn't think an 08 would be gunked up in the clutch hydraulics even if you had never flushed the fluid but it is a possibility. Have you noticed if it slips before it is fully warmed up or does it take a while for the slipping to start? There is another possibility. The clutch engagement is assisted by oil pressure. If it blew an o-ring on the assist piston it would not be applying the assist and the clutch would slip under load.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Did not have any particles but in the bottom of the master it was a little gunkey. It also was slightly golden colored.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.