Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi new to this forum hoping someone might have a few pointers.

My 2001 GL1800 is juddering when in top gear as if the clutch is being quickly pulled in and then released. If you apply one finger to the lever you can feel the lever go soft and in a few seconds it jumps. If you back off the throttle the lever goes goes back to normal until you accelerate again.

It only does this in top and every other gear is OK, it does not slip at all.

I'm a bit stuck and any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My first thought would be to check that the fluid is full, and if it is, then try bleeding the clutch. The bleed valve is front center of engine and must remove EVAP canister to get to bleed valve. Bleed off just like you would a brake cylinder making sure there is no air in the system. By the way

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!:action:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Niesmann.

Your problem...? I don't know, but Seth's advise is sound. Check the cheap stuff first. Fluid, air, or even a dirty master cylinder could be at fault. The bike's too new for big stuff to be having a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

if it's like the 1200s we've just delt with on here dirty master cly has been the culpret in them all so far. good advise to flush it out make sure it's clean and refill with fresh and bleed. it is odd though that it only does it in high gear. guys just going to through out something here do you think the cruise control could have anything to do with it ?:shock:

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
imported post

There may be a problem with the oil pressure assist system in the clutch. It has an oil chamber that uses oil pressure to assist the clutch springs. When you begin to pull the lever the pressure is released so the lever is easy to pull in. If the seals are bad in the chamber it can cause the clutch to slip.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

but he says the clutch never slips.?

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
but he says the clutch never slips.?
He says it doesn't slip in the other gears, only top (5th).

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
imported post

What Niesmann described does sound like a slip. Like the clutch is right on the edge of disengaging.I think Dave is on to something.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

am i reading it wrong?:shock:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Hi

Many thanks for the advice so far, I'm away this weekend but next weekend I'll check out what's been mentioned so far and I'll keep you all posted.

It only does it in top and it's not like a traditional clutch slip, if there is a problem with the oil assisted clutch where would the seals be for that and would there be any leakage visible ?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

niesmann wrote:
Hi

Many thanks for the advice so far, I'm away this weekend but next weekend I'll check out what's been mentioned so far and I'll keep you all posted.

It only does it in top and it's not like a traditional clutch slip, if there is a problem with the oil assisted clutch where would the seals be for that and would there be any leakage visible ?

Thanks again
:15red:Welcome to this Great Site!:12black:
Pull up a chair and join on in!
:stumped:Got a Technical question on your wing:stumped:
Technical Forum
:baffled:Got a General Motorcycle Question:baffled:
General Motorcycle Forum
:bowing:Most of all we're glad you joined and:bowing:

:action:look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

skoto1 wrote:

am i reading it wrong?:shock:

Engine torque being the same in all gears, if there is a weak clutch it will slip in the top or high gear.

The test is starting in 5th byletting the clutch out gradually adding throttle until the engine stalls. If the engine does not stall the clutch will be slipping. This may mean the clutch discs and or springs would be suspect. Good point in the oil assist system being an issue. I do not know how this would play out in the above test.

Earlier comments on a complete clutch fluid change out seems in order and is inexpensive. Review the drained fluid for contaminants including any air and dirt.

Here is wherethe service manual comes in for assistence.

1. 07 GL1800 Troubleshooting guide.
  2. Clutch slips:
  3. Stuck piston
  4. Clogged hydraulic system
  5. Discs worn
  6. Weak clutch spring
  7. Clutch regulator valve stuck open
  8. Low oil pressure.

Hope this helps. Let us know as you work through the issues.

Longboater

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The bleeder valve is attached to the slave cylinder of the clutch which is located lower front of engine after taking off lower cowl and EVAP canister.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Hi All

This advice is much appreciated the Goldwing has 48000 miles on it but I'm the second owner having had it since 19000 I recently discovered it was a Honda Press bike from new so it could have been abused early on.

Done a number of IBA rides this year this is the first problem I've had apart for a new alternator last year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.