Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As we know, the GL1800 with comfort package has two vents down by your toes. They are opened and closed by the vent control lever just below the left speaker. My question is this: Does that vent control also turn on and off the fairing vents by your knees?

When I picked up my new GL1800 from the dealer a couple of weeks ago, I wondered about this. As I was riding home that day, I tested it. I admit that I may have been in somewhat of a trance that day, and my memory is not clear. But I would have sworn that the vent control lever DID open and close those vents. Even with my poor memory, I am absolutely certain that those vents were blowing out hot air and blowing very well that day. Now they do not blow anything at all.

I took my bike in for service today and the dealer told me that the control lever does NOT control those vents. When I asked him why it was blowing that day and now it does not blow, he told me it was probably the wind direction. I do not buy that. So I need to know from other GL1800 owners with the comfort package, does that vent control lever open and close those knee vents? And how well do your knee vents work? Do they blow pretty well?

I cannot tell about the toe vents. They do open and close with the lever, but I can't get my hand down there while I'm riding to feel if heat is coming out. I assume they are working, but I can't prove it. The knee vents definitely do not work.

I appreciate your comments. Thanks....... Rick

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

The lever up on the left upper fairing controls only the foot/toe warmer.

The knee vents have always basically been totally worthless and as far as I can tell have very little flow of air. I never worry about mine as they simply vibrate shut as fast as you open them.......sorry......vents are worthless.

Kit

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

My knee vents work. But I'm not out in 30 degree weather yet, I have noticed warm in the 50-60 degree riding range. Honda cheaped out, the 1500 had real heater vents, and you didn't have to pay extra for them either. Another thing that really helps is the foot wings from baker. I had those on my 1500 and I got them on my 1800. That makes a big difference on the amount of air coming up on your feet and ankles.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Del Que wrote:
As we know, the GL1800 with comfort package has two vents down by your toes. They are opened and closed by the vent control lever just below the left speaker. My question is this: Does that vent control also turn on and off the fairing vents by your knees?

When I picked up my new GL1800 from the dealer a couple of weeks ago, I wondered about this. As I was riding home that day, I tested it. I admit that I may have been in somewhat of a trance that day, and my memory is not clear. But I would have sworn that the vent control lever DID open and close those vents. Even with my poor memory, I am absolutely certain that those vents were blowing out hot air and blowing very well that day. Now they do not blow anything at all.

I took my bike in for service today and the dealer told me that the control lever does NOT control those vents. When I asked him why it was blowing that day and now it does not blow, he told me it was probably the wind direction. I do not buy that. So I need to know from other GL1800 owners with the comfort package, does that vent control lever open and close those knee vents? And how well do your knee vents work? Do they blow pretty well?

I cannot tell about the toe vents. They do open and close with the lever, but I can't get my hand down there while I'm riding to feel if heat is coming out. I assume they are working, but I can't prove it. The knee vents definitely do not work.

I appreciate your comments. Thanks.......           Rick
Lever controls only the toe warmers, the knee vents are manual and get their air from the ducting at the front so only direct air at the outside temp to you legs. If its cold you get cold air, if its hot you get hot air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.