Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I HAVE A TOMTOM GPS AND I WANT TO CONNECT TO AN EXISTING POWER SOURCE ON THE BIK. WHERE CAN I FIND AN ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR THAT I CAL SOLDER TO THE UNIT'S NOW BARE WIRES. I WOULD RATHER DO THE CONNECTOR SO I CAN REMOVE THE POWER CORD IN THE FUTURE AND AVIOD THE TAPS.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

What year 1800 ? On the earlier 1800's there is a blank two pin connector under the left faring pocket that is keyed but limited to about 3amp. That should handle a GPS no problem.
I would never cut/splice into any factory wiring on the wing. For the GPS just get a connector to match the OEM and wire that to the GPS power cord, most bike mechanics keep a few laying around they have cut off junked bikes.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I would just add a 12v cigarette outlet and install it in the left hand pocket. You can usually use the factory two pin plug as suggested above or run power from the accessory tab on the fuse box. Very simple install. Good luck.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome SABAI[/align]
[align=center]I second the power[/align]
[align=center]outlet in the left hand[/align]
[align=center]fairing pocket:waving:[/align]

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

On my Garmin unit I used an EC power plug connection in the left pocket. Like you I wanted to be able to take it off when needed. Except for drilling the hole for the socket,all of the rest of it was plug and play.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Bigmic
He may not know what EC is. Post a link if you are referencing something, give the link to the connector he used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.