Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a brand new 2009 Wing that I trailered home with only five miles on the odometer, without a problem along the way. It wasn't until my buddy and I tried to unload the bike that I noticed coolant running all over the place. Upon looking under the bike we discovered a big hole punched in the plastic resovior tank where it had caught on the ramp. First of all not the greatest place to place a tank in my opinion, but back to the issue. Does anyone have installed on your 1800, any brand of aftermarket shield made to keep this from happening and if so have you had any problems with running them. I had two Honda shops say stay away from installing these aftermarket shields because they cause heating problems with the engine since the heat can't escape fast enough. Comments needed.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

Like you I worry about mine also. I think having one is a lot better than none for protection and at least peace of mind. I believe the cover has nothing to do with overheating because all it is is an overflow bottle not A RADIATOR. I spent about a half hour one afternoon and made my own with some roofing flashing. I measured the tank and cut the aluminum and after getting it shaped I mounted it with 3M double stickauto trim tape. Ive found a few dents and such in it and I think it was worth doing. Unfortunately I have a trike so I cant mount a belly pan. If you feel you need more protection get a belly pan. That is the ultimate underside guard and not that hard to mount.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Belly pans are available. Two I think. I cut to fit a down spout and fastened with 3M two-way tape.
Micky Mouse maybe, but out of site and its works.
Pictures may be still on my site.
Longboater,

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

I have seen a couple of these damaged by loading onto trailers. We have a sump guard on Christine's trike because it has much less clearance than the bike. Last time I changed the oil, I noticed a couple of heavy gouges in it, so its obviously doing its job. :)

No overheating problems at all.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

Get a Tulsa belly pan, easy to install and worth the money. I almost had the same thing happen when I hauled mine home new from the dealer but only scratched the reservoir. Had the belly pan in my truck. I've had to take it off and straighten it twice after having objects hit it so it has easily paid for itself.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

I have a Tulsa Belly Pan on mine also ... without going into a lot of detail ... when I bought the bike new there were several items I wanted installed before taking the bike home.

One was the belly pan. The dealer installed mine.

Bob

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Love my Tulsa belly pan..........my bike must as well looking at all the dings and dents on the pan from rocks and such that didn't take out important parts of the bike! :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That coolant bottle is something taint it!! Yes you have to be careful with it, on or off a trailer or on and off a bike lift it can get punctured, and also just running down the road if you do not have a front fender extension it will get punctured.

I took a 11 inch by 5.5 inch section of aluminum sheet and lined it off, measured and cut a section out for the drain hoses on the left side and bent the edges up and made a custom guard with 3/4 inch raised edges around the little custom box.
I used industrial velcro and put this on the tank bottom and on the plate I made.
It has sat there on the bike and protected it for a full year now, and yes you can see marks on the bottom of it from various things.

It works well and still the bottom of the bike is open so you can inspect it for leaks and can get to the oil filter and so on without taking something off.

Kit

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Like many here, I also use a bellypan. It also protects the oil filter, they have been known to be cracked by stones and leak oil. I've never heard anyone complain that a bellypan made their GL1800 overheat or run hotter than normal.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I purchased a bellypan and will soon be installing it. Will give my feedback on how I like it in the future!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Love my Tulsa belly pan..........my bike must as well looking at all the dings and dents on the pan from rocks and such that didn't take out important parts of the bike! :gunhead:
+1 I have seen some made from stainless steel but haven't heard any reports on them.:waving:

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

For those of you concerned that a belly pan might cause overheating or that it will trap heat, I just bought one from Cyclemaxohio.com ($39.00). It's made of aluminum and has vents to aid airflow. Haven't installed it yet, but it appears to be a straightforward installation.

:18white:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Help,

I have a 2008 Goldwing triked out with a 2010 Roadsmith kit complete with wings. I recently had something put a pin hole in my oil filter and also noticed that my coolant bottle has apparently dragged over something as it has several gouges in it. It doesn't leak at this point. I purchsed a 2-piece belly pan from Wingstuff.I cannot get it installed. I have removed the 2 side cover screws, the roadsmith wings and shifter and floor plate on the left side and the brake pedal and floor plate on the right side. I still cannot get enough room to force the rear section of the pan up and behind the side covers. Do I have to remove the side covers completely? I don't see what is holding them on at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wingdude

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

I dont know if your Roadsmith is similar to my Lehman with aquashields,but I found I couldnt get a belly pan on. With the crossbraces of the aquashields and lack of clearance I wound up just putting a shield on the overflow bottle. If you have an aftermarket such as wal-Mart oil filter as compared to the OEM Honda and Emgo, Wal-mart and other auto filters have a thinner skin of metal on them as compared to the motorcyle filters.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I have the two piece belly pan, which allows you to undo to fast set screws and easy access to an oil change.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider,

I bought a 2-piece pan. I cannot get the rear section installed. Getting frustrated. Ideas?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree that the expansion tank isn't located in a great position. That said if the tank springs a leak it's only going to lose the fluid in the bottle. Once that's gone the radiator will suck in a bit of air at the top as the coolant cools but that amount of air won't necessarily overheat the engine. You'd need to repair/replace the expansion tank and the missing coolant of course but it won't leave you stranded on the road. I had a two piece SS belly pan on my '01 but took it off. I might put it back on eventually but didn't see any advantage using it other than some protection for the expansion tank. Definitely didn't see any handling differences in crosswinds or anything else.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Thanks to all. I finally got it on. If I hadn't had a full size lift table so I could see what was going on I would not have completed it. It is this lift table that I believe was causing the wear on the bottom of the coolant bottle. I park the trike on the lift table as I have limited space in the garage. I lengthend the ramps so that the rear of the trike comes up sooner and lessens the rubbing. Having had a pin hole knocked in my oil filter by a rock or something I was getting paranoid about it happening again. Several members of my riding group FL-1B have had instances similar to mine with the oil filter. One member hit a screwdriver (didn't see it) and the front wheel drove it completely through the filter. Needless to say, it dumped the oil mmediately. A special thanks to Bigmick for the link. I printed it out and will put it my file for future use. I knew there had to be some additional hidden fasteners holding the side covers on. This is a great resource because of the great members. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.