Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took a ride up an old logging road last weekend,climbing a mountain temps were in the high 90s. My 2002 GL1800 has never went past half way on the gauge before.so it pushed the temp gauge up close to the red zone before i stopped and let it cool down.I would like to know what others have done to their GL1800s and what if any changes helped with this problem?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

I helped a friend reverse the fans on his 1800. We reversed polarity at the motors and then turned the blades around. We had to use 1/4 inch spacers under the mounts so the blades wouldnt hit the RADS then we located the fan control wire from the ECM and installed a switch parallel with the ECM so he could turn them on manually at higher speeds when needed. It was a real PITA job to do but he said it was worth it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Some of the 1800 lads here did the fan reverse and seem to be okay with it. Just as well too, it looks like a lot of work involved.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I would like to hear from Honda on why the fans work the way they do. Seems backwards to me - but when there were overheating issues with the first couple of years of the 1800 they just changed the speed that the fans shut down at.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Actually they made the radiators larger. Blowing them forward is a courtesy to the rider. As the fans only operate below a certain speed, blowing them forward instead of in what would be considered a normal direction, forces all that heat out front and hopefully a bit away by the time it passes the rider.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately Honda's idea to keep the hot air off the rider had a bad side effect when the bike was moving slowly. At low speeds in the 15mph range the incoming ram air pretty well cancels the forward blown air from the fans resulting in little air passing through the radiators. The result ispoor cooling at that speed. With the bike stopped or moving faster the cooling system works as designed. Reversing the fans can prevent this little oddity at low speed.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

There is a service bulletin posted in PDF for this problem in 01-03 wings in the "Buying a used GL1800" under Goldwing buyers guide of this forum. I wasn't able to open it however. I thought it dealt with an ecu adjustment allowing the fans to come on above 15mph or something along those lines...

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think that TSB honda Replaces the ECM and alittle sub wiring harnse is added,but read some owners didnt like the way their bike ran with the new ECM.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Make sure the Rads are full. They wont draw fluid from the overflow tank if there not full. Open the cap on the Radiator to see.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
I helped a friend reverse the fans on his 1800. We reversed polarity at the motors and then turned the blades around. .
This one has always puzzled my feeble mind:nerd:
Reversing both the motors and the blades would result in the air being moved the same direction as it was, right:surprised:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.