Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2005 GL1800 with 20K miles. The cruise control button to turn the control on will not stay on. You can push the button in an hold it in to keep it on. With the button held in you can hit set speed button and everything works fine, as long as you hold the button in all the time. As soon as you release the button the cruise kicks off. Is this my on/off switch or something bigger?

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the switch - down side of that is you can't get the one switch on its own, you have to buy the whole assembly. :shock:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the rapid reply. What a crock, have to buy the entire assembly on the right side handlebar. Any idea how much and if these are available aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

130 dollars or so plus shipping from Honda Direct or some place like that, No they are OEM parts only.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I have an 05 1800 and mine did the same thing. Had to have that switch replaced. Warranty should take care of it.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

gallirr wrote:
I have a 2005 GL1800 with 20K miles.  The cruise control button to turn the control on  will not stay on.  You can push the button in an hold it in to keep it on.  With the button held in you can hit set speed button and everything works fine, as long as you hold the button in all the time.  As soon as you release the button the cruise kicks off.  Is this my on/off switch or something bigger?
Could be as simple as taking it to bits and cleaning it :coollep:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

I would definately try some sort of cleaner spray in it first. Theres a small spring assembly inside, it sounds like it jammed.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

The stupid little switch button has a plastic slider and spring up inside it. It slips out of the track it follows in, and gets stuck and will not release. I have been sucessfull one time by smacking the button several times fairly hard, with a rubber hammer, this dislodged it and it flew back into the track. If the spring broke you are out of luck but if it is just jammed maybe, worth a try, going to have to replace it anyway, so give it a smack. You can also use a small piece of wood place that on top of the switch assembly and smack it, this uses inertia to move it up in the track, may not work every time, but worth a try, just do not hit it hard enough to tear it up, but you can smack it pretty good, without hurting anything.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks to everyone who responded. I know what to do to attempt to fix the switch myself. I'll try the clean and relube route. If that fails, I can buy the new module. This is a great site and now that I've discovered it, I will be monitoring it often.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

One additional question please. Can you recommend a good site that offers the Honda Shop Manual.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
imported post

I have a 1998 Goldwing. The cruise control off/on switch would not engage. I pressed on it several times, it stuck in the down position but the ‘on’ light would not illuminate unless I pressed on it very hard and held it there. On a test run, I pressed the button hard enough to illuminate the light, set the cruise and it worked until I released pressure on the button, when the light went out, the cruise quit working. I resigned myself to purchasing a new cluster for about $150 bucks and hiring the Honda shop to install it when I noticed the ‘cruise on’ light began shining at the end of my test run. I did another test run over rough roads with the cruise engaged to see if the jarring would make it disconnect but it held. I still was going to purchase a new cluster but wanted to try one more thing…I bought a can of silicone spray and soaked the button (switch), then literally hammered on it gently from all angles until to my astonishment, the button popped out. I then pushed it in, it only came out halfway (as it should), I pushed it again, it came out all the way…just like when it was new. I inserted the key, it was working normally again.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have a 05 goldwing with 48,000 miles and my cruise control button doesn't always work either...also I just replaced both low beam headlights, and one has blown already...will replace again and see what happens...at least it is an easy bulb to put in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.