Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am getting the bike ready for yet another great year of riding...not that I ever stopped. I have been riding almost all year round only stopping a few weeks here and there when it was to wet or to cold. Otherwise have been riding year round.

Ok...here is the question...doing a cylinder compression test on a 2010 GL1800 with 48,000 Km's ( 30,000 MILES ) on it. The service manual says to heat up the engine to full running operating temp..."DONE".

Pull out all the plugs..."DONE"...the manual says 201 PSI. HOWEVER its does NOT say how many PSI ( + or - ) of the 201 PSI it should be...I looked...and could not find any set number.

Ok here are the number I got...you tell me...do I have a problem or not...?

RIGHT SIDE from front to back ( 190, 192, 200 )
LEFT SIDE from front to back ( 200, 200, 210 )

Note all the plugs have been looked at...and all look perfect and all look 100% the same as the others...not one of the plugs looks in the least blacker or light then the others.

Should I worry about the 190 and 192 and the 210 reading.

Now I book says the engine should be HOT, and it and "IS" still hot. Going to wait for it to cool to the point that its just slightly warm...like body temp warm. Then will re-test and will post those numbers as well. Just want to see how much the engine temp plays a factor in these readings.

:?

.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Now with the engine cooled off to the point the guage almost shows cold...but is still warm to the touch, a little warmer then body temp...( 98.6f ), I have redone the test on all cylinder and this is what I got.

RIGHT SIDE from front to back ( 215, 213, 214 )

LEFT SIDE from front to back ( 215, 215, 217 )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10% is the normal acceptable variance in compression tests
I wish they would BLOODY WELL state that...or something. Now what about the 210 PSI one...?

The manual states that HIGH compression could be caused by deposits on the cylinder head and or pistion. What is HIGH...how much is HIGH....give me some numbers "HONDA" or give it to me in % above and or below the 201 PSI stated.

In the ideal world I would much more prefer to do a bleed down test then this. However when I go to my local part supply and tool supply places looking for a bleed down tester...they all look at me like a deer caught in the head lights of a car...and ask me. What the hell is that...? No one seems to know. God help me.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, they are all within the 10% tolerance and all is well. If the people in the parts stores there are anything like the ones here they are lucky to find their way home. If you don't have a specific vehicle for them to plug into the computer to find a part you are SOOL.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't worry about it, they are all within the 10% tolerance and all is well. If the people in the parts stores there are anything like the ones here they are lucky to find their way home. If you don't have a specific vehicle for them to plug into the computer to find a part you are SOOL.
There is two of them there...and between the two of them and there combined brain cells, they....lets not even go there. All I can say is scary...if its not in the computer...they have NO bloody clue what your talking about.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
As long as it is within 10% high or low you are OK. If you checked it with another compression gauge, your reading will varie somewhat so don't be too concerned with the number you get it's how it runs is what is important.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as it is within 10% high or low you are OK. If you checked it with another compression gauge, your reading will varie somewhat so don't be too concerned with the number you get it's how it runs is what is important.
It runs GREAT..! It should as I bought it NEW with ZERO on the clock and I bought it in May or 2011, so it's not ever 2 years old if we look at it that way.

I was just going to do a spark plug inspection just to see how they are doing, and if I should think about replacing them as they do have some 35,000 Km's ( 22,000 MILES ) on them and I did lot of hard riding when I did the Alaska and Yukon trip for the Chapter " J " rally thing last summer. I put some 18,000 Km's on that trip. So while I was at it, I thought since I have the Manual for it on CD...I thought...this is a good a time as any to do both a spark plug and compression check all in one move.

However now that I have done that...maybe since I still have all the covers off and plugs out. It might not be a bad idea to do the valves and just see where they are sitting as...as the manual as I recall does say to check them at the 50,000 Km ( 30,000 Mile ) point. And since I am sooo close to it anyways...why not.

In any case I am writing down all the test numbers so I have a base line to work with on what it "is"..."was" at the time of this test. Same will go with the valves too....might as well get all the numbers down for the future if I have to do valves shims. If nothing else, I will know which are getting close to being out of spec. The last thing you want is a valve that is not fully closing...! Having a little more gap then needed is never a problem...might here a little valve tick...thats ok...a little valve tick is a happy valve.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,528 Posts
There is two of them there...and between the two of them and there combined brain cells, they....lets not even go there. All I can say is scary...if its not in the computer...they have NO bloody clue what your talking about.

There are motorcycle part stores in Antarctica??

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
Do you use steel studded tires to ride it down there in Antarctica?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Actually he lives just 20 miles north of me in the Fraser Valley British Columbia.

I have no idea what his question was as after he tried to sell me his Snake oil (Amsoil) in PM and I declined he announced publicly on this forum his intention to harass me over my choice of oils.

He's now on my Ignore Member (Idiot) list.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
How did you do the test?
Did you pull one plug and test one cylinder at a time or pull all 6 plugs and test one cylinder at a time with all plugs out?
Pumping air in and out of open cylinders will change readings due to loosing heat from start to finish.

If you did it with all plugs out, yet the engine was cool towards room temp, then the temps are not so important to variance. Looks like all plugs were out on the first test with the start of compression testing done at the left rear and finishing on the right rear, which suggests you started pulling plugs from right rear to left rear where the testing started. ...

I'm probably wrong, ....again. :)

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually he lives just 20 miles north of me in the Fraser Valley British Columbia.

I have no idea what his question was as after he tried to sell me his Snake oil (Amsoil) in PM and I declined he announced publicly on this forum his intention to harass me over my choice of oils.

He's now on my Ignore Member (Idiot) list.
The fact is...and I will state it for all to read it since you have so nicely taken to running me down in public. ONE, I offered you Amsoil..YES..as I use it. You said no you don't want it...FINE...what ever. Then because you went all weird over it...I bugged you some about it jokingly. You then went really weird on me ( my guess is you fell off you bike and you have brain damage ). In any case it should be ME putting YOU in the idiot list. Any with that I am done with you...now do my a favor and get lost. If you need a hand with that, I would gladly give you the GPS Lat and Long to help you get there.

:raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Between me and the polar bear and penguins...I am doing just fine thank you.....LOL. Oh...one other thing...no stop light or stop signs...and no signs for speed limits.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that.

:ROFL:

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How did you do the test?
Did you pull one plug and test one cylinder at a time or pull all 6 plugs and test one cylinder at a time with all plugs out?
Pumping air in and out of open cylinders will change readings due to loosing heat from start to finish.

If you did it with all plugs out, yet the engine was cool towards room temp, then the temps are not so important to variance. Looks like all plugs were out on the first test with the start of compression testing done at the left rear and finishing on the right rear, which suggests you started pulling plugs from right rear to left rear where the testing started. ...

I'm probably wrong, ....again. :)
I did it as per the service manual, which stated to pull ALL the plugs out for this test.

I did it as fast as I could so the engine would not lose to much of it heat. Then I did the same test over again, but not with the engine cooled down enough that it was still nice and warm and the temp guage was on the first line above the " C " for cold. I just did the test yet again...this one is 3rd time with the engine stone cold at about 48F as that is about what the temp is here. And the number did not change between that of warm and stone cold. The only change that was seen was with the engine at full running temp. And even then the numbers really did not change all that much to be any big deal really. I think the idea of having the engine at full heat may have something to do with the valves and seeing if they are seating fully....I think that the idea why the manual called for full running temp for the test.

On a little side now, while I was doing this and had the covers off. I also pulled the valve covers to when the engine was stone cold, and checked the valves. All are fine only one EX valve is a little tight on the specs, still well within the safe range for sure. But it might need a shim in about 30,000 more miles worth of riding.

I wonder....when these bikes leave the factor...how close are the valve gaps to the given specs...? Myself I like valves to be a little over the gap set out in the specs...not by much...say about .001 to .0015 thousands of a inch. A little bigger gap is never a problem, but under sure can be a problem in the making.

With my old bike which was a honda shadow the VT750 I run those valves with .002 over the specs, and all I heard and had to listen very carefully...you could just hear the slightest little tick coming from them. However..I do not know is it me or it was just fluk, but it seemed like I was getting just a slight hint better MPG with the larger valve gaps.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have to say that I often call into question tools like this. The reason being is...these days what can I buy that is NOT made in China...? And I have to often wonder if the gauge is reading right in the first place....and how many % is it out from what its showing...??? One day soon...really soon I think I will have to go though a calibration test just so I know...when it says 200 PSI...how close is it to being really 200 PSI.

One other thing on my list will be bleed down tester. If I can not find one...I guess I will just have to made one if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
The 10% allows for variance in your testing tool and your technique. The 10% variance is between your highest reading and lowest reading. Anything above 140 psi will run well.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Ok here are the number I got...you tell me...do I have a problem or not...?

RIGHT SIDE from front to back ( 190, 192, 200 )
LEFT SIDE from front to back ( 200, 200, 210 ).
Those are perfectly healthy readings.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those are perfectly healthy readings.
As you will see, I have a second set of number from a second test when the engine cooled down some from it ripping hot state to nice warm state. Thats when all the number came right up and really leveled off.

Anyways...I wish to thank everyone that give me there input on this little test I did, I was not sure at the time if the 190 and 192 reading was alright....for lack of a better way to put it... within the normal range.

And for a little fun, I will add... I guess the " AMSOIL " is working out really good. AKA .... ( The Amsoil dealer in the Antarctic )

Agent Provocateur
:ROFL:

Sorry guy I just had to do that in light of one of the comments I got.

But really no joking....thanks guys for the input on the subject it was most helpfull.

:bow:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.