Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a nice low mileage 09 Wing and want to go Double Darkside.

I have been watching the posts about Darksiders for years and that is really the main reason I bought the 1800.

I don't ride as aggressively as I used to and it breaks my heart to have to change tires almost every riding season.

What I am looking for is What works for you?

The pros and Con of different tires.

I did a couple of searches and really got buried in information overload. But a lot of it is Old Info.

I am looking for Brands available to me local or semi local.
Price is not the object, Handling and longevity is.

I am excited to do this to this wing, as the 1800 is so easy to change tires compared to the 1500.

Let me know what you think.

And Thanks in advance.

Mohawk

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
Everyone is going to give you a different opinion on tires. Basically you want a 195 or 205/55 16, the 195 being easier to install, with directional tread and at least an H speed rating and AA traction. If you don't ride aggressively then maybe a run flat would be your choice.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
IF I go DS on my 1800, I would buy another rim so I could swap between the MC or MT depending on riding.

I went the a CT on my 1500 and for the most part, I like it. I can corner like no tomorrow, it's smooth and makes bumps almost non existent. But on the highway, at 60 and above, it gets squirrely on me..... not exactly where I want to bike to do funny things.

I have heard similar stories with a car tire on the 1800's.

My other concern, which I have heard no one talk about, is most are using 195 tires which lowers the profile or outside diameter which to me would raise your RPMs (Also fuel Mileage) a 205 would be a little greater diameter (Not Much) but I guess you could experience different sidewall reactions since there is more there, and the "Run Flat" type tires are less in availability.

Curious to read some of the reviews you get.

(By the way, I am from the syracuse area and we still have family there (My 2 daughters) I am coming up there this summer to do some southern Adirondack riding if you want to join)

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I am currently on my 3rd CT on the rear of my 1800. The first 2 were Kumho run flats and the current one is a Michelin Primacy Alpin run flat (see sig line below). I loved the Kumho and thought that it would be my tire of choice, at least until I tried the Michelin! It is even better and it appears to have a slightly rounder profile. I figure I have over 40K miles on a run flat CT and will not be going back to a MT any time soon. It is a safety issue for me and not cost or wear not to mention that the run flats tend to be a bit pricey anyway. I also pull a trailer a lot and performance is awesome there too. I'm not overly aggressive in the twisties but I hold my own and trust the CT there as well. And finally, they are AWESOME in the rain!

I'm not experiencing any of the "squirrely" handling at highway speeds that jobe05 is talking about. I run about 40 miles per weekday on the slab doing between 75 and 85 mph without a wiggle. It may be the run flat I am running or the tire pressure but I'm solid as a rock out there.

Notes:
  • If you decide on a run flat then you should get a TPMS if you don't already have one. The run flat can lose air pressure and you might not even be aware of it.
  • I agree with jobe05, get a spare rear wheel. It makes the tire changing process much easier!
  • Let your personal experience be your ultimate guide. I read everything I could get on the topic and like you, quickly had information overload (lots of opinions out there on both sides of the topic). I decided to try it for myself and let my personal experience be my guide.
Whatever you decide, be safe and enjoy your 1800!!!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the TPMS on this bike.

Did you guys do your own tire changes or have HONDA do it?

And can they balance the tires on the wheels without the bike?

I do have a tire machine, But hate to damage that TPMS sensor.

Keep the info coming guys ,, Good Stuff..

Thanks

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I do have the TPMS on this bike.
Did you guys do your own tire changes or have HONDA do it?
And can they balance the tires on the wheels without the bike?
I do have a tire machine, But hate to damage that TPMS sensor.
Keep the info coming guys ,, Good Stuff..Thanks Mohawk
I have Wally World do my tire changes (off the bike) and I use the lay it down method to do the change of the wheel (off/on). I have to tell them it's for a custom trailer or they won't do it (CT on MT Rim). The dealer here will do it for me but I don't like paying their price. Wally World can't balance it but I put in Dyna Beads and have had no issues although I don't have an internal TPMS to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I have the Falken 195/55-R16 running it at 42psi. Its a non-RF tire. This is my first darkside. I am sold. I wont go back to a MC tire. The Falken kinda has a roundy edge, so the transition from MC to CT was minimal for me. I do notice the bike wants to be vertical. On a MC tire, you can kinda relax your push about 3/4 of hte way through the corners. You have to keep input on the bars until you are ready to be vertical. Other than that, bigger imperfections in the road will move the bike around, trying to be vertical, but not that bad. After you are used to it, you just are prepared for it. The Falken was cheap enough, I thought that if I hated the CT, I could go back to the MC tire and not be at too much of a loss. Just like Mikey, try it, you might like it :)

edit: oh yeah, 2 oz of dyna beads, dont worry about having it balanced...

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
IF I go DS on my 1800, I would buy another rim so I could swap between the MC or MT depending on riding.

No you wouldn't, switch back that is.

I went the a CT on my 1500 and for the most part, I like it. I can corner like no tomorrow, it's smooth and makes bumps almost non existent. But on the highway, at 60 and above, it gets squirrely on me..... not exactly where I want to bike to do funny things.

I have heard similar stories with a car tire on the 1800's.

That is only with a 60 series tire, a 55 will not do that, I have been triple digits may times on car tires and never experienced that. I have well over 110,000 miles on car tires on an 1800.

My other concern, which I have heard no one talk about, is most are using 195 tires which lowers the profile or outside diameter which to me would raise your RPMs (Also fuel Mileage) a 205 would be a little greater diameter (Not Much) but I guess you could experience different sidewall reactions since there is more there, and the "Run Flat" type tires are less in availability.

No, a 195/55 is the same profile as the stock 180/60 and it doesn't change the RPM to indicated speed at all no matter the tire size on an 1800, the speedometer runs off the rear wheel speed, not the front.

I deal in truth, not opinion.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info and opinions guys.

I am hunting for tires this weekend.

So Dave0430, What tires are you running on your 1800?

Like I said I don't ride as aggressively as when I was younger. But that's not to say I don't run a tad fast most of the time. I do see triple digits at least a few times a week.

I jumped on my 1500 last night just to see if what I was feeling was truth or memories.

The 1500 is just so silky smooth. It's like dancing with a laid back relaxed fat lady.
Where the 1800 feels like a nervous teenager. I feel much more engine vibration and road vibrations through the bars.

I do know the 1800 is much smaller, skinnier and a tad lighter.
But it is also 3 times stronger and quite a bit faster.

This weekend I am taping up all the openings in the front of the fairing to see if that is where the roar I hear is coming from. Sounds like wind to me. Could be the shape of the windshield too. Not a problem, Just strange to me after these years with the 15 and a Tulsa Tall and a Tall Windstream Shield.

I am just eliminating wheel bearings or Timing Belt sounds. But the engine is silent at Idle. And at 20K miles everything should still be fairly new.

C Ya and Have a GREAT Weekend.

Mohawk

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
This weekend I am taping up all the openings in the front of the fairing to see if that is where the roar I hear is coming from. Sounds like wind to me. Could be the shape of the windshield too. Not a problem, Just strange to me after these years with the 15 and a Tulsa Tall and a Tall Windstream Shield.
Hey Mohawk, when I first got my 1800 I thought there was a "roar" of sorts as well. It turned out to be my tires. It all but disappeared when I put on a new Bridgestone on the front. Just a thought!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

The 195 and 205 numbers are the width not the height aspect(diameter) of the tire.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After lookinfg close at the front tire I can see some cupping. Hard to see by eye, But when you run your hand up and down the tire you can feel it.

Halfling, you are probably right. That is more than likely the culprit.

What is the common tire people mount on the front?

I am determined to be a double darksider.

Ohh, and I am pulling he 1800 apart to measure it up for my Stainless Fork Brace.

Mohawk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morning,

Dave0430 is that michelin pilot activ you are running on the Front a Car Tire? I see it listed as such on some sites.

But on others, It is a Motorcycle tire.. And what size?

Stock tire is 130/70/18

I am looking to go Double Dark Sider.

Thanks

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
The 195 and 205 numbers are the width not the height aspect(diameter) of the tire.
The width of the tire DOES affect the height. Its a math thing. The second number is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of its width. 55% of 205 is more than 55% of 195. Therefore, the 205 is not only wider, but slightly taller. You would have to have the tires next to each other to see it.
I would wager the difference in height is .3" to .5".
Any search will show this.

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
Morning,

Dave0430 is that michelin pilot activ you are running on the Front a Car Tire? I see it listed as such on some sites.

But on others, It is a Motorcycle tire.. And what size?

Stock tire is 130/70/18

I am looking to go Double Dark Sider.

Thanks

Mohawk
Of course a motorcycle tire, there is no such thing as a car tire in 130/70 18. This one https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/rear-pilot-activ-130-70h-18-blackwall-tire.p542774.prd/542774.sku

I have a new tire I am going to try as soon as I wear this one out.
https://www.denniskirk.com/avon/rear-am26-roadrider-130-70v-18-blackwall-tire-2276613.p543178.prd/543178.sku

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.