Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Humm, Took my 2008 GL1800 under 200 miles in a steady rain and the bike ran rough and died. It would turn over but would not start for a long tiem and I had places to be. After the event I went back to BB Wing and again it would not start. I kept trying and it finally started and got me home.
Where should I look for water disabling the engine?

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
Very odd for one that new to have that kind of problem and as well protected as most of the wiring is. May be the only way to find it is to start spraying water at it from the bottom up until it dies.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Do the 1800s have drain holes in the spark plug areas like the 4 cylinders had?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding from East Tennessee Goldwing Knoxville is that it is a known issue with the off/on/off switch. One would think the wing should be weather proof as I ride in nearly any weather. I was stunned that BB Wing died like that.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Welcome:waving:Mminor1955

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
Do the 1800s have drain holes in the spark plug areas like the 4 cylinders had?
No, the plugs are horizontal under the lower part of the head cover, no chance of water drowning them out.

My understanding from East Tennessee Goldwing Knoxville is that it is a known issue with the off/on/off switch. One would think the wing should be weather proof as I ride in nearly any weather. I was stunned that BB Wing died like that.
If it were the kill switch the starter would not have worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many contacts are used with the on/off kill switch? If there are several maybe that's were the water interfered.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I have ridden my 1800 in literally hundreds of miles of rain. From light drizzle to downpour and never had an issue. How long has it been since you changed your air filter? Not common but the 1800 will suck water into the intake and compound that with a dirty filter and it will stop it cold. Do you have one of those two piece "Tunnel Filters" that fit between the steering stem and body work? That might just direct rain water into the air intake. I'm just guessing here since the problem you had is so rare. This is the first I've heard of a gl1800 stopping in the rain.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Have you considered checking and emptying the crankcase breather?:waving:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No F1 codes, Just day before yesterday it showered a little bit and while the wing did not die, the engine stuttered and did not want to idle for a couple of minuets, then cleared up. Weird.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
Check your battery terminals. I have seen instances where the connections loosened up a bit after a few hundred miles. If the tech who assembled the bike didn't get them tight enough, you could have this type of problem. The added humidity and moisture from the rain could be enough to raise the resistance between the cables and the battery terminal, and you get this kind of issue.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
Florida Prowler #97
GWBBA #9
www.olddogmoto.com

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Sounds like you have some moisture in the harness somewhere.. Sometimes that could be a pig to diagnose..
Start looking at your start connectors for corrosion.. It is probably the best place to go.

Good luck.

:18black:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a spray bottle of water and while its running spray different areas until you get the missing. This should pin point the area where your problem is.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum OlManRivah
Good suggestion. Spray around the coils. Coils could be cracked or the connectors could be corroded.

OlManRivah be sure to introduce yourself in the new members section.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
You never did answer me about how old the air filter is. How many miles on your bike? To fully diagnose this problem, be it electrical or air flow, you have to take the shelter off anyway. While you're in there take a look at the air filter. Also did you drain the breather tube above #2 Cylinder? You don't need to remove anything to pull that plug and let it drain. If there is more than a few drops of water/oil then you have been injesting water into the air intake.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I had a 1200 that acted the same way and it turned out to be bad coils

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.