Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shifting from 1st going into 2nd I hear and feel a jumping sound and snapping back in place. It does not shift into 3rd but stays in second.

It does not happen all the time. The noise and jump is in the rear end. I visualize it as the drive shaft tip slipping from the gear it fits into.

Anyone can help or have an idea about what I am talking about? Soulution?

Thanks Odies

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Is this on an 1800 Wing? What year and mileage? If you are saying your gears won't shift above 2nd, it really sounds like a gearbox issue and not the final drive.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 2010 1800. It shifts fine. The rear end seems to jump out of gear and right back in. It is not in the transmission. It is in the rear end.

Sorry for the delay, I had to go to MN from Texas. Not on the bike. Thanks

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
What makes you so sure it's in the final drive? How many miles are on it? Is it a stock bike? If it's a 2010 it's probably under factory warranty yet.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
. Some more investigation is necessary. Like, looking at oil condition in final. The mileage on bike may be helpful, also. It's hard to believe that it'd be drive splines on a 2010, but there is a slim possibility that final is kaput. Any oil in final, any signs of leaks underneath final? If it's failed, dealer time, to repair under warranty.

. Oh, I forgot. I've heard of the rubber bonding front and rear of driveline going south. That's may be from hard acceleration, especially riding dbbl, and pulling trailer.

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
if it was the differential it would go through all gears, you have a transmission problem.

I agree, the final drive has no idea what gear the transmission is in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.