Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered that the Digital Audio Unit in my 1800 is Always Powered "On"... even with ignition key "Off" and/or removed. This probably explains previous owner's complaint about the battery always being dead.

I'd like to modify the power input such that it is wired to my (added) Auxiliary Power Strip, so that it shuts off when the ignition is turned Off... as now-does all the other accessories on the bike.

So then, two concerns that I'd like to put up for comment:
1) Is the Power Supply to the Audio Unit (eg Formerly the Honda CD player) 12v? If so, then I can simply cut the existing line, and run a new one over from my Aux Power Strip. If not, then What Voltage is it?

2) If I turn Off the power to the Audio Unit, then will the radio still Recognize the unit's presence when the power is restored? I have been having to go through the widely-posted procedure of disconnecting the battery in order to reconfigure the radio to recognize the audio unit... Don't really want to have to do that every time I fire up the bike with this Mod.

Thx All

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
There are 2 red/yellow wires for backup power to the Honda CD changer. Don't know if your unit uses 1 or both, you could disconnect those and power them from the aux terminal in the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Digital Audio unit?

I'm not sure what you mean by "digital audio unit."
You may already know this, but I'll relate it anyway.

I have an older Bike MP3 player. If you press the A SEL button while the MP3 player is on, the player will not shut off. You have to disconnect the battery to get it to reset. Could it be that your "digital audio unit" has a similar problem?

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
I have had a problem with mine locking up, A J&M digital MP3 adapter. What I have to do is unplug the unit for a few seconds then plug it back in and it works for a while, sometimes a short while. It will even lock up the audio unit sometimes so nothing works. Sent it back to J&M, they said they couldn't duplicate the problem but sent me a new one and it does the same thing, maybe even worse. The most annoying thing is it doesn't come back on in the same place it was when I shut it off, usually reverts back several tracks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "digital audio unit."
You may already know this, but I'll relate it anyway.

I have an older Bike MP3 player. If you press the A SEL button while the MP3 player is on, the player will not shut off. You have to disconnect the battery to get it to reset. Could it be that your "digital audio unit" has a similar problem?

Rayjoe

Am using this unit:
http://wingstuff.com/data/assets/blogs/65820/bikemp3.jpg

I'm aware of the "A SEL" issue, but that's not the problem here as my audio unit is communicating OK with the radio. Just wondering if it's Ok to Sever the Power Connection to the unit (when bike is Off), then Re-power (when bike is back On again)... without subsequently having to go through the same Reset Procedure you refer to with the A SEL issue.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 2 red/yellow wires for backup power to the Honda CD changer. Don't know if your unit uses 1 or both, you could disconnect those and power them from the aux terminal in the fuse box.

^ That's great news; I will try that and report back

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Am using this unit:

I'm aware of the "A SEL" issue, but that's not the problem here as my audio unit is communicating OK with the radio. Just wondering if it's Ok to Sever the Power Connection to the unit (when bike is Off), then Re-power (when bike is back On again)... without subsequently having to go through the same Reset Procedure you refer to with the A SEL issue.
I don't think it will matter if you power it off. I think I may do mine that way so it will reset when it locks up just by turning the key off.

Edited your post BTW because your link didn't show up.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Am using this unit:

That's the same one (Bike MP3) I have. My bike is an 02. I think you said yours is newer. Maybe that's the difference.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I had the same issue with my Bike MP3 player several years ago. The indications were that the motorcycle battery power would discharge quicker than normal while shut down and the MP3 Player would be hot to the touch maybe, 100 degrees.

I communicated with them and they said it was an internal problem. They would make me a replacement cable for about $30.00 to remove power when the ignition was shut off but I didn't want that particular fix. In retrospect, I kind of wish I had taken that offer.

Anyway, I whined enough about it since it was only a couple of years old that they agreed to sell me another one at half price. That one has been fine since I installed it in 2014.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I'm happy to say that I have Solved this problem of Constant Power Draw!

I re-routed the Power Wire to a (Aux) Relay-Power Supply, and now the Audio Unit only operates when the bike is running. I randomly selected a 2 Amp fuse to control the circuit. I've tested it for a week now, no problems.

The Power Wire is one of 2 Red Wires going into the White Connector under the Seat... As you look at the connector (from the Audio Side) it is in the top right corner.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Update: I'm happy to say that I have Solved this problem of Constant Power Draw!

I re-routed the Power Wire to a (Aux) Relay-Power Supply, and now the Audio Unit only operates when the bike is running. I randomly selected a 2 Amp fuse to control the circuit. I've tested it for a week now, no problems.

The Power Wire is one of 2 Red Wires going into the White Connector under the Seat... As you look at the connector (from the Audio Side) it is in the top right corner.
One question, which side of the connector did you use to reroute power? The digital audio player side or the bike side.
I'd be more prone to remove the wire from the digital audio power plug than the motorcycle plug. But that is me.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One question, which side of the connector did you use to reroute power? The digital audio player side or the bike side.
I'd be more prone to remove the wire from the digital audio power plug than the motorcycle plug. But that is me.

I cut the wire on the side of the plug nearest the Digital Audio Player... then re-routed same side to the Aux Relay Power Supply.

Put differently, the Aux Relay Power Supply only feeds the Audio Player (not the bike's radio)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I cut the wire on the side of the plug nearest the Digital Audio Player... then re-routed same side to the Aux Relay Power Supply.

Put differently, the Aux Relay Power Supply only feeds the Audio Player (not the bike's radio)
That would have been my choice too. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts