Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1800 DIY Passenger volume control

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MichiganWing 
#1 ·
I was pricing Passenger Volume Controls and the least expensive one I found was 62.00. I'm no cheap skate but 62.00 to 109.00 for these things are robbery. So I did the next best thing, I built my own. It doesn't have the PTT or the Mic mute LED because I figured my wife knows when she pushes PTT button and if I mute her mic I'll hear about it with a slap on the helmet.

Ok, here's what I spent:

1 ea 25K audio taper pot 3.99 Radio Shack
1 ea Momentary switch 1.99 Radio Shack
1 ea Small construction box 3.99 Radio Shack

I had all the wiring I'll need and the unit volume control will interface into the mic bias circuit I built earlier, which is in series with the passengers 5 pin DIN pigtail and the audio connector under the seat. This unit will mount on the right passengers hand rail with velcro straps. The unit has been waterproofed.

Here's a couple of pictures of the finished unit.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

See less See more
#4 ·
Nicely done. If I may offer a word of advise? I used that same box when I built my version of mic mutes. Thought I had sealed it well (rtv around the lid and all holes, but I mounted it under the left glove box. Every time I washed the bike, the steam that would come off the radiator when I ran it to dry the engine, would permeate the box and prove my efforts useless. I eventually filled the box with silicone sealant and closed it back up. May save you some static and aggravation down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.