Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looked at a Gl1800 yesterday. Bike was very clean except for a blackish looking drip line seemingly etched into the Chrome of the left side main exhaust pip towards the front of it. I know an overcharged battery can boil over and drip acid as it does on many 1200's.Is this at all common with the GL1800's? Cant think what else it might be...

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

The 1800 comes stock with a sealed battery...no drain hose, no leaks, no nothing. The passenger floorboards bracket will hold water after a washing or rain. perhaps the previous owner used a harsh chemical at one time and left it dripping at that point.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sealed or not, I believe if a lead acid battery is overcharged it will boil and that the acid will go somewhere once the pressure builds. Even if it vaporizes and then collects condenses and drips it will cause damage. Again this only on the left side and the bike is extremely clean with low miles. Any chemical harsh enough to etch chrome would likely also have damaged the surrounding area. Really this is one of the few faults on the bike. So I guess my question is really whether anyone else has had this problem.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

A good thing about that is 1800 mufflers are easy to come by from trike builds.
Anything that holds liquid can leak so it may have been battery acid. May have been overcharged on a battery charger, not likely the alternator did it but that could happen also. Maybe a check of the charging voltage would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Dave -Good point about the Trike take offs. I checked ebay and there were some avail. and not expensive either so that helps. I was just surprised to see that and wondered if there was any common issue with 1800's overcharging from the alternator. I didt consider somebody doing it with a battery charger.
One thing I noticed is that several e-bay ads listed the muffler but did not specify right or left. Does that mean they are interchangeable? I wouldn't think so as from the pic the inlet pipe is angled and the hanger would be wrong...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

...oop...just checked Honda fiche and sure enough different numbers so must be different. Also noticed the left side new costs $100 more. Anyway I would go with a trike take off-thanks.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

The OEM battery for the 1800 is not Lead Acid, it comne with a AGM battery. There is no liquid acid to leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.