Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, gear heads, Heres one to work through.I have a motor trike kit attached to my GW. Need to tie the front brakes to the rear as l am a fully articulated right leg amputee and the normal process of applying the rear breakes are out.l know that both the master cyclinders have 10 X22 bleeder bolts. l'm thinking that if l remove then and replace then with double banjobolts and install a braided brak line between them the pressure from the front brake lever should activate the rear as well. Had this done on my former trike but it was a suzuki. Anyone with an opinion on this feel free to address this. Also if its do able where would l goon the WWW to get the parts.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I see what you're trying to do...

Not sure how it would work as you need to move more fluid now with the front lever.

Te GW's already have two brake calipers coupled to the foot-lever.

Front brake lever would have to supply three calipers...

Hopefully someone else will jump in with more info...

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, DRider!

A few things come to mind with your plan.

First, your front master cylinder was designed for two brake calipers, not three (or will it be four with a caliper on each of the rear wheels?). You may need to get a master that pushes a higher volumn of fluid to get acceptable braking performance.

Second, you may need to put a perportioning valve between the front and back so that you can adjust out any "grabbyness" between them.

Third, by setting up all brakes on one master, you in essence have a single brake system. That's not legal in most places. I don't know if OK will want an inspection of your trike done before they will register it, and it would take a keen inspector to catch it, but it's a risk.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

I think if youPM lopeha (Andy)he will be able to help.I think he can make up the lines for a reasonable price.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If it has ABS, it is over my head. other than that, brakes are just plumbing basically. My '85 LTD has the left front disc controlled by the handlebar lever, while the right front brake and rear brake are both controlled by the pedal. I don't like this setup, because it does not give me the control over the brakes I want. I plan to connect the front master cylinder to both front brakes, by using the front brake hose setup from another motorcycle, which just happens to fit. It consists of a single hose, which connects to the master cylinder, a junction block with 3 fittings, that this hose connects to, then two other hoses connect to it, and one goes to each front caliper. Most "normal" motorcycles with dual front discs use this setup. The rear is much simpler. All I have to do is remove the line that goes to the front, and plug the port it connected to. Then I will have completely separate front and rear brakes, and be able to ride it the same way I have ridden every other motorcycle I've ever had.

Your issue may be a bit more complicated, especially if you have ABS. Even without ABS, putting the entire braking load of a trike on one master cylinder that was originally designed only to operate one disc may not work. You would be in effect tripling the load on the front master cylinder. Then there is the matter of a proportioning valve, like cars have, because they use a single pedal to operate the brakes. It sends more hydraulic pressure to the front brakes than the rear, for two reasons. One, most of the braking is done by the front brakes.Two, when you brake, you have a lot of weight transfer to the front, which takes a lot of weight off the rear wheels, making them much easier to lock up. A simple system that connects the front and rear brakes to the front master cylinder would be easy to build (other than the ABS), but it might not function well, and might not be safe.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

disabled rider wrote:
Okay, gear heads, Heres one to work through.I have a motor trike kit attached to my GW. Need to tie the front brakes to the rear as l am a fully articulated right leg amputee and the normal process of applying the rear breakes are out.l know that both the master cyclinders have 10 X22 bleeder bolts. l'm thinking that if l remove then and replace then with double banjobolts and install a braided brak line between them the pressure from the front brake lever should activate the rear as well. Had this done on my former trike but it was a suzuki. Anyone with an opinion on this feel free to address this. Also if its do able where would l goon the WWW to get the parts.
If this is your 1800 then there is no easy solution as it's a plumbers nightmare,:shock: see attached schematic.

If and only if you'll be the only pilot you could look at moving the rear master to the left side and back a bit then use your heal on the brake and toe on the shifter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Update: After much discussion with several members l went directly to the source, Motor Trike. Got some helpful advice and the number to solcal trikes in CA. Spoke to Rick, the go-to guy for all things Gold Wing. He is currently working on an application to convert front and back brakes to a siamese lever, which will replace the single lever. Currently the mtg only makes this for a HD, but Rick is convinced that with a few modifications this can be applied to a GW. I will keep you updated as to how this goes for any other amputee out ther looking to keep safely going down the road. Oh, and for all of you who told me the the brake plumbing on a Gold Wing was complex......YOU ARE RIGHT!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Hi i m a disabled rider here in the UK, i m a member of the NADB disabled bikers association which run a grant system for members to keep disabled riders on the road....I had a grant off them for the kliktronic twin brake levers which i fitted earlier this year.

The top lever works the front brakes,the bottom longer lever operates the rear hubs.I also tow a teardrop trailer which makes a combined weight of 750kg,trike and trailer and the brakings excellent.These levers are made in sweden cant remember the manufacturers name,but they will be available in the states,be prepared for a shock :shock:when you get the price

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
disabled rider wrote:
If this is your 1800 then there is no easy solution as it's a plumbers nightmare,:shock: see attached schematic.

If and only if you'll be the only pilot you could look at moving the rear master to the left side and back a bit then use your heal on the brake and toe on the shifter.
All that needs to be done is attach the line shown in blue to the rear brakes on the trike. This takes nothing from the front master directly. When the front brake is applied the left caliper pushes up on the auxiliary master and applies pressure to the rear brakes. Who knows what has been done with this on the trike conversion but it must still be there and probably plugged off.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

How much did you have to pay for your Kliktronic device? I received a quote from an agent in the U.S. that sounds out of line.

Lashune1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.