Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bit of advice please. This summer I was standing a Patriot Guard flag line for the funeral of a fellow Viet Nam vet and had road my Trike and trailer there. On the ride home, I saw a huge hole in my lane, where a chunk of concrete was missing. At 65 MPH and a car beside me, I could not change lanes or stop fast enough. I had no choice but to go through the hole. My trike made a load "Bang" and my trailer bounced into the air. I stopped as fast as I could to check for damage, but didn't see any. When I fired up the trike and eased out the clutch, I heard a low "growling" noise coming from under the trike. Needless to say, I was ticked at DOT for not fixing the huge pot hole. In neutral, the engine sounds fine and all the gears are there, but now there is a "lag" or delay in clutch take-up between gears that was never there before. Everything is fine until I let the clutch out and there is a growling noise in every gear. When I got home and got it on my cycle lift, I had a friend hold one rear wheel while I checked the rear axle backlash. It was tight. I then put the transmission in 1st to check the driveshaft free play (it is about 1/4 turn back and forth). I loaded the trike into my trailer and took it to the 2nd. oldest Honda dealer in the nation for repair. I was astonished that after the head mechanic road it and then the dealership owner road it, they both said they thought there was nothing wrong with the trike, but they didn't understand what would be causing the "buzzing" or low vibration in the handlebars. The quote I got to tear the trike apart to try and find the cause of the vibration, I might as well buy a new bike. At that time, I had 23,000 on the trike and it was super-smooth and super-quiet, and now, with just under 30,000, this noise and vibration continue to a point where I got out my old Air Force mechanic's stethoscope to listen all over the engine for the cause. The alternator was the only thing that made a lot of noise in the stethoscope. It sounded like marbles in a tin can and gave me pause for concern, except the major noise cannot be heard until the clutch is let out with the trike in gear (every gear, any gear). Thanks for reading this novel - - -I haven't written this much in years.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
I am thinking the noise is probably in the rear end (the added on trike part), not the actual transmission. Might be easiest to disconnect the drive shaft and run it through the gears to eliminate the trans as the problem.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:Cap

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
You should do Daves suggestion first. He knows a lot more than I do about these things.

What year is the 1800? Since you're hearing the most noise from the alternator area, I am wondering if hitting the pot hole so hard caused a premature Alternator Drive Gear Failure. That is why I asked the year because they fixed that problem in the later years.

Good luck and keep us updated. :waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
A damaged universal joint will often cause vibrations through the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice so far from everybody. My GL 1800 is a 2008 with 30,000 and a 2011 Champion Trike Kit (with less than 500 miles on it when this happened). The trike rear end, is the first place I looked. Bike in neutral, both rear wheels held tight, hardly any backlash at all and when spinning the wheels, there is no noise at all. When putting the bike in gear, the driveshaft backlash at the transmission is slightly more than 1/4 turn. Could this be where the clutch take-up delay in every gear can be felt? On the road, gently on and off the throttle, (no matter what gear I am in), there is a huge amount of backlash that was never there before. The bike has always been super smooth and very quite - - - not any more ! It almost feels like the gears are now slightly out of alignment. Could this happen ? Could the final drive gear on the output shaft in the transmission have broken a tooth and that is the "bang" that I heard and the cause of the "low" growling in every gear ? The U-joints are like new and tight, but the backlash inside the transmission, unexplained low vibration and growling noise is causing me to worry, especially since this all happened suddenly and all at once. Thanks - - - "Cap"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.