Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am wondering if anyone else has had/repaired a similar problem. 2001 GL1800 initially starts right up and runs perfectly. As soon as an electrical load ,ie. brake lights, is placed on the system the dash and all all other lights dim and begin to pulsate. The alternator is putting out 14 volts but when a load is placed on it it momentarily (split second) drops to 9 volts and then back to 14 voltsand the dimming/pulsating continues. Then when the ignition is turned off and then back on the bike is completely dead, no dash lights, no headlights, nothing. And it will not start...........wait till it all cools down and lights all return and it starts perfectly again but with further electical load the dimming and pulsating starts all over again. I assume that some electrical component somewhere is breaking down but where to begin? Any 1800 owners ever experienced this problem and if so how was it repaired? Thanks.....GM

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Your avatar has the answer.. :dude:

Sounds like a screwy regulator to me.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Problem is fixed. Is a little embarassing but found that both battery cables were loose. Let me explain........both cables felt tight and both bolts were tight but the cable ends were againstthe plastic ridge/lip of the battery and were not firm against the battery terminals. By luck I noticedit when I was checking battery voltage. At the terminal I was getting 12.9 volts but on the cable end I was only getting 2 volts. So I made up a couple of little metal spacers to put between the terminals and the cable ends and now I have a good tight connection and no more electrical problems. I guess it just goes to show that some of the biggest problems are the most difficult to find but the easiest to fix. Thanks to those who read and responded..........GM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.