Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having purchased new cover is it a straight undo and replace?

Are there any hidden springs or anything that might drop out.Is it necessary to replace the gasket.I can carry out some basic jobs but nothing major.!!

Thanks for any advice.

Regards Brownbaker

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Is it the rocker cover you are replacing? Upper or lower part (it comes in two parts)?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This would be the timing chain cover that brownbaker means I hazard a guess.

Being as I want to refurbish mine, I too would be interested in the answer.

(wasn't the one on ebay today was it ?)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Are you talking about the center somewhat oblong shaped cover on the very front of the engine? The timing chain cover? Or have you purchased one of the aftermarket chrome covers that simply stick on top of the whole affair with double stick tape?

If the original cover (order replacement gasket first) just take out the ten bolts in the cover, clean the mounting surface well, silicone sealant is required in three spots also, and if switching covers you have to take the CKP sensor(crankshaft sensor) off the original cover and install on the new. There are a couple dowel pins to make sure you do not loose and insure they are in place on the install.

Torque is not much, I forget, would have to look it up, but low.

Nope no springs are gonna jump out. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Sorry my scanner is broke or I would scan the manual for you so you can see the whole operation.

Kit

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for advice.I think I will let the dealer fit it during the next service

It was the one on ebay.Mine isrough looking!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You were bidding against Tanygaer!!!!:shock::cool:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

brownbaker wrote:

Yes you need a new gasket, about £7.00 from dave silvers, its about a 20 minute job to take the old one off and clean the gasket and put the new one on, I'll come and help you do it and give you a few bob for your old one, your about 20 minutes maybe 30 from me...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
brownbaker wrote:

Yes you need a new gasket, about £7.00 from dave silvers, its about a 20 minute job to take the old one off and clean the gasket and put the new one on, I'll come and help you do it and give you a few bob for your old one, your about 20 minutes maybe 30 from me...
Can't say fairer than that Brownbaker, the offer of the Great Tanygaer coming to see you!!!:shock::D

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it is not an aftermarket chrome one ?? if it is then as Kit has said it just sticks on over the old cover , 3 min job ,Just make sure the old one is cleaned of oil and greaseso that the double sided tape sticks well to it , Ciaran

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

It is the whole cover that Brownbaker bought I believe, not an after market cover.:)

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)It was a proper one,,,saw it myself,,,,but why do you want a manky grey one ,,when you can have a nice Chrome one:cool::):cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sorry for not replying sooner,I only just received the E-mail saying there was a reply.

I would love to take the Offer of fitting from Tanygaer.I will let you know when the gasket arrives.My old one is pitted and spoils the front.As for chrome I used to have a Valkyrie and developed Chromitis so I have had enough polishing!!

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

brownbaker wrote:
Sorry for not replying sooner,I only just received the E-mail saying there was a reply.

I would love to take the Offer of fitting from Tanygaer.I will let you know when the gasket arrives.My old one is pitted and spoils the front.As for chrome I used to have a Valkyrie and developed Chromitis so I have had enough polishing!!
no problems shout me when you are ready..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.