rigorous maintenance oil changes at 4k/m always
Engine failed at 79K miles
here is the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZziaE4OXN0

was suggested it was the alt dampener
engine removal /back case showed this was not correct
we are going to crack the cases one rainy day
replaced engine with one with 32K miles on it and much dinaro
Leaving for Vegas next week end hope we fixed it right!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has more than 250,000 on his Wing and only thing done ever is oil change. This is really strange.

I live in Vegas. If you need local knowledge drop me a note. Ride safe while in Vegas. At least 2 riders a week die on our roads. Roads are slick from the heat and surface oils because of no rain and people here do not watch for bikers.

#4 ·
Listening to the video makes me wonder....
if you slowly increase the engine rpm to @ 2000 would the engine noise completely go away???

I hear you blip the throttle several times but it's hard to hear. I guess this is all water under the bridge now since you've already bought another engine. Just wondering?

#5 ·
Well engine hauled out and replaced with a 30k one
promptly buggered off to Vegas on it

Las Vegas trip was a hoot as always( another story )

Old Engine dis-assembly shows like it ran out of oil
bearings/cams all scored

I suspect oil pump failure?/ sump clean
Engine never burnt a drop of oil in 80K always changed at 4-5 k intervals and was full at time of failure
Castrol 10W40 used all the time
of course extended warranty ran out last year:frown2:

#6 ·
Castrol was what did it in and you will never convince me otherwise.
I suggest you quit using that brand of oil.

IMO, that is NOT a good engine oil for Honda Goldwings.

I had a severe issue with Castrol Motorcycle oil in my '94SE with the oil pressure dropping to zero, and the RED engine oil light coming on. I was 200 miles from home, let it cool down for 2 hours, then drove it home at 45 mph the rest of the way.

Changed it to Chevron Delo 400LE 15w40 and the engine survived and never gave a minutes trouble after that.

I will never, ever, buy another Castrol product.

#7 ·
I used castrol 20w50 in all my vehicles till they called out for a specific type or weight of oil(after 2000). Never had any oil related issues. No leaks or burn. 96 goldwing had 225k when I sold it and the engine(pulled valve cover because gasket let loose at 200k) head looked brand new. You could read all the markings on the valve shims. Bolt heads had residual oil on them that you could see through(oil change at the time was 1k old). I would still use this brand on my new one if they weren't so picky on it. By the way, I too change my oil every 5k. Seems like this should be brought up to Honda-although proving it may be difficult.

#8 ·
A lot of stuff gets blamed on oil, when there is no evidence to support that conclusion. From owners description of the event, if he didn't run it dry of oil ( doesn't sound like it ) then it falls to lack of pressure in the system. Earlier wings had the occasional oil pump failures so I wouldn't rule that out in this case. It happens.

#11 ·
Don't know about now,but Fram was supplying Honda with filters(spin on) a while back.That's why I never trusted the OEM filters on my Wings or my Civic.

#10 ·
Could be he just got a bad one. I know guy with an 04 wing that replaced 3 or 4 alternators, had the motor rebuilt a couple times and always had trouble with the bike and this was under 80000 miles. He is a Honda mechanic so the bike always had the proper maintenance. Seem like sometimes you just get a lemon.

#13 ·
All it takes is to get anything that is made on an early Monday morning or a late Friday evening or Friday before a holiday weekend. you could possibly come up with a bad one

#15 ·
I don't believe for even the slightest moment that undiluted Castrol oil did an 1800 (or a 1500) in.

I've used a lot of Castrol in a lot of vehicles, it's one of my favorites, never have I seen reason to doubt it's protection.

#16 ·
I had Castrol in a GL1500 a few years back, running super hard at 85 mph into a head wind....

the oil pressure light came on.... stop and check oil level. it was at the top of the marks.

let the engine cool 2 hours, and rode home at 45 mph for the next 100 miles.

changed to Delo 400LE 15W40 and no more problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.