Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our FI light came on. Florida Honda dealer said the knock sensor needed to be replaced. So we did that. The light is still on. Came home to TN and took it to the Honda Dealer here. They hooked it up to computer, said that the code needed to be reset (whatever that means). Light still comes on. Bike runs fine. Anybody have any ideas as to what I should do next? Thanks Mickey

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
there is a procedure for resetting that light but you will have to look in the Honda service manual. Try doing a Google search on "gl1800 reset FI light". As I remember you have to take the top shelter off and insert a jumper wire into a 2 connector plug. I don't think just disconnecting the battery for 15 min will do it.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
It may help if you read your own light --just to kinda be fully informed (less interpretation, like which knock sensor, etc...)

With the code on, you should be able to put the bike in Neutral and put the side stand down -- then watch the FI lamp for flashes and count the number of long and short flashes...
Long flash count is the "10's" place and the short flashes are the "1's" place for trouble codes
* 2-long blinks and 5-short blinks would indicate the right knock sensor or its circuit is not as expected,
* 2-long blinks and 6-short blinks would indicate the left knock sensor or its circuit is wonky

A dirty connector or frayed/shorted wire anywhere in the related circuit (INCLUDING RELATED GROUND CONNECTIONS) can cause these codes to set.

If this is one of the soft codes, the ECU should detect proper signaling and reset the FI lamp on it's own. If not, there's a procedure that will vary by year that can be done at the DLC (data link connector) beginning in '04, but for your '03 (and before) there is a BLACK service connector under the seat (should be the only BLACK 3-Pin connector -- it'll have only 2 wires, Green and Black in the outside connections)

For '01-'03 -- to clear a FI trouble code (the procedure for '04 and up is significantly different!):

1. Turn the ignition switch "OFF"
  2. Short the two outside terminals on that BLACK connector (described above) with a jumper wire.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to "RUN"
  4. Remove the jumper wire from the service check connector.
  5. The FI indicator will light for approximately 5 seconds.
  6. While the FI indicator lights, re-attach your shorting wire to the connector's terminals again, and watch the FI indicator and count flashes
IMPORTANT! That black connector must be jumped while the FI indicator is lighted. (bike OFF, short the connector, bike ON, disconnect wires, FI lights, re-short connector). If not, the FI indicator will not start blinking.

NOTES:
  • The code memory won't be erased if the ignition switch is turned OFF before the FI indicator starts blinking.
  • The self-diagnostic memory is erased if the FI indicator goes off and starts blinking.
  • If the FI indicator blinks 33 times, the code memory has not been erased. (can indicate that there is still a hard code failure in the system)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FI light problem

My light comes on after riding the bike for 5 miles or so. If I stop and turn of bike and restart, the light will come on again after about 5 miles. The left sensor has already been replace and the light still comes on. It's a 2003. Thanks for all the reply's. I'm hoping for a solution.:praying: before I have to take it back to Honda, I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FI light problem

Thank you for the detailed info regarding the black connector etc.... I'm not sure I will want to try doing this myself. I'm not to mechanical. I'll see if I can get someone who knows more than me to help me. Thanks again.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Since your light is going off (only to reappear 5-miles down the road), I would imagine that this is a soft code; so the ECU will shut the light off when it's all better.

Next time you get the FI light, stop the bike, get it in neutral, put the sidestand own and let the bike idle -- should take about 30-seconds or so at idle for the codes to begin flashing -- count the long and short codes to see what you're dealing with...

... if you get a 26-code, there may be a warranty visit back to that dealer to have them really repair the left knock sensor situation (not always just a part replacement)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info.ill try that.but its with a sidecar attached to it not sure the kickstand will reach ill let you know when it gets above 18 degrees here
mickey

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Kick stand doesn't have to reach, all it has to do is deploy to read the codes.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
My F1 light came on after a 100 mi. trip. The blinking code (25) calls for a Knock sensor repair. I have read around the web that sometimes after the sensor was changed it was later determined to be the ECM unit.

I own a '03 GL and I have read a Service Bulletin (GL1800/A #13, June 2003) that talks about Honda replacing the ECM for free. I think the time has run out for Honda to fix it for free, but I also read a Wing World article that talked about the replacement of the ECM and how Honda had remapped the replacement ECM to run better.

I am going to see if I can replace the Knock sensor first, if the F1 stays on I will replace the ECM unit. I saw new knock sensors on sale for about $100, but the ECM units runs about $800. I saw used ECM units on EBay, but if Honda remapped the replacements a used one may not be worth the savings.

Does anybody have any step-by-steps instruction for either replacement? Otherwise I have my manual and my wench and I’m going in . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.