Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read the comments from the poster in this video?.

I know I often try and up shift when I'm already in OD on the freeway.

Dropping the RPM's in OD will save fuel between tank fill ups on a trip.
First gear on this bike has needed to be changed (Too short).
This Drive Ring & Pinion change may be the ticket?.

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
I didn't hear any comment about the gear ratio being changed. I have hoped someone would make a set of taller final drive gears.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't hear any comment about the gear ratio being changed. I have hoped someone would make a set of taller final drive gears.
I didn't see Henry Parks comments at first.

Someone said click on the youtube in the lower right. then the video opens in youtube.
I then had to hit the "SEE MORE" under henrys first comment.

And then his full comment opened up.

Do the same for the reply's under each posters comment.

A guy on there has 4000 miles on his.

Henry's trip to the Grand canyon is pretty impressive for mileage.

I get crap for mileage. But boy do I have fun.lol

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
I wonder if a speedo healer is capable of compensating for the change.

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
Dave,
I think that is so....
the speedo healer IIRC, is programmable.
Duh! That's their purpose, to program to recalibrate the speedo. The question is will it go far enough.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This new drive seems to be the ticket. the you tube channel has more info.

I'm am trying to contact Henry Park to buy one.(y)

·
Magic Moderator
4,393 Posts
He seems to be making them for the GL1800. Get a final drive from a trike shop and send the case in for an upgrade and there's no wait time, just swap them when the new one comes in and there's no down time.

·
Administrator
58,185 Posts
I just now read thru the comments on that page, and finally buried way down deep found his phone #

7 months ago

Hi, I now have one gear box I can spare. Are you still interested? Please call me 310 294 4242.
so, if one already has a spare rear end assembly ( which I do )
maybe he is still making these?

here is his link to seeing the gear set on a lathe:

·
Administrator
58,185 Posts

Honda Goldwing GL1800 final drive gear ratio change from 2.75:1 to 2.416:1

OEM Drive readings.
70MPH -3100RPM's
80MPH - 3600RPM
90MPH - 4000RPM's

Modified Ring & Pinion Drive readings.
70MPH = 2600RPM
80MPH = 2900RPM
90MPH = 3300RPM

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
If anyone gets a price on this I would like to know even though I probably could never afford it but who knows what could happen

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I spoke to Henry. Price is $1100

Now I know some may read the amount,and say wow that's a lot of money.? (I wasted more than that on hiway pegs that turn to garbage in a couple years)

Nothing I ever bought for my bike "Ever" gave me a nickle in return.

This drive, will save wear and tear on the transmission, an save fuel around town and on long trips.

I had Henry put my name on his list. (y)

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
If I was going to do a lot of interstate travel I would consider that worth it. Since I don't like riding interstate highways and don't ride 1/2 as much as I used to it's just not worth even 1/2 that to me.

·
Administrator
58,185 Posts
I am kinda surprised that his price is "that low"...
He lives in Poland, correct?
is the $1,100 at his door or include shipping?

I remember back in the middle '70s when I had a new 1974 Chevy Surburban with 3.73 rear axle getting around 11 mpg. We lived in Stinnett, TX and made lots of trips to Amarillo, TX which was 60 miles to the city limits.... plus we were going back to Ft. Wayne, IN almost every Christmas back then to be with my wife's family.

I was seriously thinking about buying a "Gear Vendors" over-drive unit so the 454 engine could "idle down" about the same percentage that Henry is doing with his Ring & Pinion modification.

The fuel savings was dramatic even then at '70s prices/gallon, but my monthly salary at the time was $600/month. Good wages then, that was the same as my dad was making after 30 years on the job with the Railroad as a clerk.

I did a lot of pencil crunching to see if it was logical to buy one. e.g., how long would it take for the up front cost to break even with the savings in fuel costs?

Came out to 120,000 miles for me at the time.
I took a big gulp of personal pride and decided that was not a practical thing for me to do. with two kids at the time, that kind of money would be better spent on "real needs", not a wishful thing to do.

a couple years later, my brother who was an engine builder for the NHRA racing crowd came up with a 2.92 ( IIRC ) ring & pinion for free out of a customer's truck when they went to a different ratio for some reason.

He changed the pumpkin out for me and it had an immediate effect, the truck went from 11 mpg to about 13.5ish mpg IIRC. roughly what the Gear Vendor's overdrive would have done.

but, there was a very serious amount of loss in off the line torque, and passing ability lost. Drove that truck to 220,000 miles so guess the Gear Vendoroverdrive would have eventually paid off, and I would still have been able to have the 3.73 low speed grunt that I sorely missed after the change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am kinda surprised that his price is "that low"...
He lives in Poland, correct?
is the $1,100 at his door or include shipping?
I don't where you got that Idea??

He lives in Gardena CA, These gears are made in the USA!

I found the quoted post below, made by Henry in the first video I posted.
That is where I got my above remarks about the Grand Canyon trip he talks about!.

Under this posters name in the video. (everyone can read it in the Reply)

Huzar 777 kosy

1 year ago

This dyno test is to show that my ring and pinion gear set (2.286 : 1 ratio - 32 teeth on the ring gear and 14 teeth on the pinion gear vs. Honda's Goldwing GL1800 stock gear 2.75 : 1 ratio - 33 teeth on the ring gear and 12 teeth on the pinion gear drops the rpm by 400 at 70 mph. With my modified gear ratio I have test rode from Los Angeles to Grand Canyon (1300 miles round trip) several months ago and I cruised at averaged of of 75 mph and got 52 miles per gallon. With my set of gears at 70 mph the engine rpm is 2600 average vs. Honda's stock gear at 70 mph the engine rpm is 3000. This is too high of rpm for such a big motor. The technician on the dyno machine was saying the speedometer on my bike was off by 10 mph meaning that actual speed is faster by 10 mph on the speedometer because my speedometer was not not calibrated at the time of dyno test. This gear ratio is perfect because it still has plenty of power in all 5 speed gears and makes long trips easier with lower engine rpm and less fatigue and easy handling at low speeds around parking lots and gas stations because the bike doesn't dive or jerk when you release the throttle in the first gear. I am sure all Goldwing owners feel this jerk at low speeds in the first gear. Thanks for the interest

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I was going to do a lot of interstate travel I would consider that worth it. Since I don't like riding interstate highways and don't ride 1/2 as much as I used to it's just not worth even 1/2 that to me.
This Modified drive is like anything else we purchase.

We determine if it is something we want?

This drive isn't just about Interstate riding.

Unlike adding a 6th gear in the transmission.
This new gear set in the drive converts EVERY one of the 5 gears in the transmission to a taller gear!.
That is Hugh, for only changing a Drive.

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
Unlike adding a 6th gear in the transmission.
This new gear set in the drive converts EVERY one of the 5 gears in the transmission to a taller gear!.
That is Hugh, for only changing a Drive.
And it's what I've been advocating for years. People go on and on about wanting a 6th gear, it's not needed with all the torque an 1800 has. And 1st gear now is so low it's almost useless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts