Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I often wonder about the GL1800 and how sad it was that such a nice motorcycle was subjected to such a horrible outcome with the frame cracking.

Has everyone here survived the recall campaigns and do you have full confidence in your Honda since learning that the frame could crack?

Is this an issue for resale value?

Ever since the GL1800 came out I have been in awe of its magnificent engineering and that awesome and torquey1800cc engine.

Maybe you owners could enlighten me on what to watch for technically if I ever decided to buy a GL1800.

Vic

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It hasn't made a toss of difference to resale values here, and I'm not aware of any of the recalled bikes cracking after the welding or inspection.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Vic ,,1800s are selling as good as any bike ,If you are buying a pre 2005 make sure all the recalls have been carried out ,The owner should have all the paperwork for this ,

They are really a reliable bike and everything was blown out of all proporsion regarding recalls and frames , type in recalls in the search box above and there are plenty of threads on the subject ,,Cheers Ciaran

here is a pretty good thread on it .

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=917&forum_id=1&highlight=recalls

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:Dhi goldwinger1984,as wexman has said the whole situation regarding the frame cracking has been taken completely out of context,out of all the 1800s sold there has only been a few that have had problems, and the problem is with a weld on the frame,there has also been a recall on the ECU unit that was causing potential over heating problems, again this only affected a few , what we have to look at hear, is that Honda, and much to there credit, acted on a wide range of teething troubles with the 1800very swiftly and to my knowledge all that have been checked,re welded,re-framed and passed as OK have been just that OK, MY 1800 is a 2001 so was due for the full set of recalls, and the biggest favour Honda did me, was to recall and change the ECU unit,a much better bike all round after this was done:clapper:my advice to you, and anyone else looking at 1800s, after hearing all the stories about them is, take one for a good ride , then look at the grin on your kipper, the feeling you have rushing through bones:cooldevil: this should over ride any doubt you have ;)and after all, there a very reliable, very beautiful, Honda Gold wing, good luck and all the very best pp

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have driven several 1800's flat out and hard on many occasions and thouroughly enjoyed the experience each time but what concerned me was the recall issues and the maintenance issues.

Also, it's very easy to spin the back tire on an 1800 and since the healthy engine torque accelerates the bike rapidly I would imagine that this would cause extra brake wear for a guy that loves acceleration like I do.

I have no doubt that the 1800 is a wonderful motorcycle to own and to drive just like a brand new Bently convertible car would be but I also need to consider more than the initial purchase price. It's the maintenance costs that can kill a guy and that is why I'm asking all these questions here to determine what the true cost of owning a GL1800 is.

My GL1200 costs me very little to own and drive and the pleasure factor is way up there in the 9's but if a deal came along on an 1800 I just might consider adding one to the stable but not if it would prove to be a pain to own and maintain.

That's why I'm grateful for all the helpful advice in this thread. It helps me to understand the GL1800 without having to risk my dollars to beforehand.

Any other ownership advice and technical tips about owning and maintaining the GL1800 will surely help me but it will also benefit many others out there who are a step away form owning the baby of the GL's.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Vic

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I have one question for Pink Pork ....... When the little piggie is reading the paper...... do the lips move...????? Thanks AND I'm trying to learn my Jack Russel Dog to write BUT the pen keeps falling out of her paw Happy New year to all

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:Dvic, its the fist bike i have owned for a very long time, and being retired, running cost was at the front of my mind, ill tell you truthfully what ive found, since changing the ecu unit i can get 50 to 55 mpg riding at a steady 60 to 70mph,i service the bike myself and the spark plugs cost $12 the oil filter $9 as you will know the price of the oil depends on the grade you putt in her,air filter $30 but i havent had to change that yet,brake pads i can get for£10 per set and tyres i get fitted at £170 for the rear and £135 for the front, as for how long they last, its like every thing else, leather it and you eat tyres and pads etcetera, steady riding and tyres and pads should be good for 8000 to 10000mls.other than servicing costs its very reliable, ho, theres a big service at 40,000 that can be expensive, touch wood the most my bike has cost me is all the chrome ive started to add to her but thats down to individual choice hope this helps pp

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

Rod wrote:
I have one question for Pink Pork ....... When the little piggie is reading the paper...... do the lips move...????? Thanks AND I'm trying to learn my Jack Russel Dog to write BUT the pen keeps falling out of her paw Happy New year to all
Rod,:D, yes the lips move, but not the ones on the face;)as for teaching jack russels to write:shock:its easier to blow out a light bulb:waving:, we used to breed them, thank fully no longer,:waving: pp

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks guys, I appreciate the forthright honesty and the direct accounting of the 1800.

I like the fuel economy you claim, that about as good as my GL1200. The earlier 1800's weren't so good on gas.

Do you think the 40,000 service is pricey due to the valve adjustment method?

Also, I see quite often where the 1800 needs spring replacement on the suspension. Is that just a performance mod or is it because the original springs are worn out?

Also, is the air filter really that hard to replace or is that just folklore?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. If I don't ask how will I ever know. I'm sure learning a lot in this thread anyway. Maybe someday, when the time is right I'll sneak an 1800 into my garage when my GL1200 is not looking.

Vic

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Vic, the fuel economy is the same on all GL1800s regardless of year. The parts are all the same and the ECM is mapped the same. So any differing mileages will be down to where you live, type of riding etc.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Vic ,if you go to the main part of this site and go to the bikers workshop ,You will see a lot of stuff on the 1800 ,some with video ,

Dealers will charge an arm and a leg for any service never mind the 40,000 miles one ,,If you can find some 1800 owner near you who is handy with a wrench ,he could do it ,It is not rocket science ,I dont know how much mileage you do in a year ,But you will probably only have to get this service done once in a lifetime if you only do regular bike mileage ,

A lot of wingers are now putting a car tyre on the rear and with great success ,You should talk to redwinger about it ,You can get over 35000 miles from one tyre as opposed to 10000 from the normal tyre and far more comfortable and no weight problems ,

The air filter is a little difficult the first time round ,But if you follow the video in the bikers workshop section for removal of the tank shelter ,then it is only a matter of disconnecting the radio after that ,

I have put up over 50 thousand miles on one of my former 1800s and never had to replace any springs ,They are as reliable as the 1500 ,more economical than the 12 or the 15 and lighter and lower than both of them ,,So do not be afraid of moving forward ,As I said before ,just make sure that the recalls have been seen to ,Oh and one more brilliant thing about the 1800 ......5 mins to get the back wheel off ,,Ciaran

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Oh and one more brilliant thing about the 1800 ......5 mins to get the back wheel off ,,Ciaran
Well dern then, that right there offsets the price difference!

:cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

I'm taking Redwinger's advice and saving up my pennies
for a new 1800:15green:.

:angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

wexman wrote:
Hi Vic ,if you go to the main part of this site and go to the bikers workshop ,You will see a lot of stuff on the 1800 ,some with video ,

Dealers will charge an arm and a leg for any service never mind the 40,000 miles one ,,If you can find some 1800 owner near you who is handy with a wrench ,he could do it ,It is not rocket science ,I dont know how much mileage you do in a year ,But you will probably only have to get this service done once in a lifetime if you only do regular bike mileage ,

A lot of wingers are now putting a car tyre on the rear and with great success ,You should talk to redwinger about it ,You can get over 35000 miles from one tyre as opposed to 10000 from the normal tyre and far more comfortable and no weight problems ,

The air filter is a little difficult the first time round ,But if you follow the video in the bikers workshop section for removal of the tank shelter ,then it is only a matter of disconnecting the radio after that ,

I have put up over 50 thousand miles on one of my former 1800s and never had to replace any springs ,They are as reliable as the 1500 ,more economical than the 12 or the 15 and lighter and lower than both of them ,,So do not be afraid of moving forward ,As I said before ,just make sure that the recalls have been seen to ,Oh and one more brilliant thing about the 1800 ......5 mins to get the back wheel off ,,Ciaran
Thanks Ciaran, the red flags go up when you mention putting a car tire on a motorcycle. What does the car tire do to handling? It's scary when a bike tire gets worn down flat from highway duty and then you try to corner, so I'm wondering if the car tire makes forunpredictable handling and cornering performance.

I would never take my bike to a shop for service even if the engine needed rebuilding basically because anything the shop can do I can do just as well if not better.

The reports from reliable people about fuel economy for the GL1800 pegs it at 36 -38 Imperial MPG and that seems to make sense considering that is feeding 600 more cc's than a GL1200 but I do appreciate that the engine can run at a lower RPM because of its lower gearing. Some guys here claim 50-55 MPG for the GL1800 sowhat is a realistic fuel consumption rate? I drive my motorcycle hardand I don't baby it, what kind of real world mileage can I expect? And I don't mean mileage gained by driving it downhill with the ignition off.

I have a deep love for my GL1200 so it's going to take a lot ofconvincingto sway me over to a GL1800 if the right deal comes along. That's why I truly appreciate the feedback received here because I'm really relying on the honesty of the lads here to inform me accurately about the facts about the youngest Gold Wing.

Vic

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:Dwell vic, now we find you ride hard, you can expect 40ish to the gallon approx 7000 to the rear tyre and 9000 to the front, brake pads the same say 7000, apart from that you should be trouble free, when i stated my bike was doing 50 to 55 mpg its a fact, not a claim, i told you i would give you the truth, and the truth i have told, what ever bike you choose i wish you the best pp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.