Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been impressed with the front brakes on my '01 GL1800 but when I rode my friend's '11 model I decided it was time to act. His front brakes actually STOP the motorcycle!! So here are my questions: Have their been upgrades in front brake hardware over the years? Can those upgrades be retrofit? If not, what are your brake pad recommendations? And has anyone tried installing a radial master cylinder?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Off hand I'd say there is something wrong with your brakes. My 01 will stop you and I don't notice any difference between my 01 and the 12 I just rode. Have you ever changed the brake fluid and/or blead them? OEM is the way to go on pads.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
There were no upgrades to the brakes over the years of 1800s. I rode my friend's 03 and the brakes were every bit as good as my 08 or 10 model. The front brake should darn near stand it on the front wheel. John is probably on track with them needing flushed.

There is no 2011 model goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I would agree with the above comments... The front brakes on my 09 will practically stand you on your head... I'm not a 1800 guru yet (working on it ;)) , so I cannot comment on changes from year to year, but mine sure work well!!!

Les

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
The couple of times I've tried GL1800's (both ABS and non-ABS models), I almost threw myself against the screen because the brakes were so good compared to the GL1500. If yours are not doing the job, there is something wrong.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I come across lots of older GL1800's...especially where hydraulic fluids have been ignored, that would benifit from a master cylinder rebuild. The levers feel 'gritty' and lack 'feel'.

If you have...or have had fork seal leaks and the pads haven't been replaced and/or the rotors haven't been properly cleaned, you're not gonna stop as fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.