Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2008 1800 has 33000 miles on it. I had new brakes put on last year and had the 32000 miles service done a few months ago. Yesterday on my way home, I started hearing a thunka-thunka noise that sounded like it was coming from the front of the bike. I just spun the tire without the bike running, but didn't hear anything. I noticed when I was nursing the bike home at a slow speed that if I slightly engaged the front brakes the noise seemed to stop or diminish greatly. Any ideas? Oh yeah, I put on the centramatic wheel balancers when I changed the tires last year.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
If the noise diminishes when you brake, I would suggest checking the brake caliper bolts in case they are loose. Other things to check would be for loose wheel weights, and the Centramatics too.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Pull off the Centramaics and test ride. Usually when something is added and there is a strange noise or other issue... it's a good idea to eliminate the new item when testing in order to find the gremlin. This also happens a lot with electrical issues.

Corventure Dave.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
musta been gremlins

Here's the update on the front end noise. It's gone. Don't know where it came from and don't know where it went, but it's gone. Hope it stays gone!
It started the last 5 miles of a 60 mile ride home and it sounded like something to do with the front wheel as it was a thunka-thunka sound that slowed when I slowed and sped up when I sped up.
I checked all of the bolts for tightness and everything was tight. Today, just to be certain, I loosened everything and then retightened everything. I checked to see if I could see any evidence that something got caught up in the wheel, but no sign of scrapes. The rotors are fine with no grooves. So I put the fender back on and went to get gas and the thumping was gone! The only conclusion I can come to is it musta been gremlins!
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It really is helpful to someone like me who has only basic mechanical skills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.