Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

here i go, the infamous wobble. i now have 30,000 mile on my 2010 1800. i know that the front ends like to wobble on the goldwings. i just put two new avons on it three weeks ago. i replaced the dunlops that had 6000 miles on them and the rear was totaly shot. it seems to me that i have this nasty wobble in the front end, yes its the worst at 40 mph. the bearings were checked all was said to be ok. my concern is that i didn't notice it that bad when i had the dunlop on it. so the big question is. has anyone reduced this wobble by usin different tires. i am thinking maybe the avons aren't the right tire for the front of this thing. i like the avons but hate that wobble. anyone have idea's or experience with this. by the way i did put the super brace on it and i run 42 psi in the front and 44 in the rear

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

All 1800's wobble at 40 some time. I don't think that anyone has narrowed it down to a tire brand or anything else for that matter. Folks have spent literally thousands of dollars trying to rid the bike of the 40mph wobble with varied results. My solution? I just keep both hands on the bars. So if you like the Avons keep them.

Side note where did you get those tire pressure specs? The owners manual calls for 36 f and 41 r. Try different air pressure but don't go below 36/41. No wonder you're using up tires that fast running them over inflated like that. Also your suspension setting. I weigh 220, ride one up and find that anything above 15 works well for me.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Not all 1800's wobble, I had a 08 bought new in 2010 that wobbled from day one and it did not matter what tires I put on it. I took it back 3 times to the dealer and every time they did something that made it go away but it would return after some miles, everytime it would be worse. With some tires it is more noticeable.

I hit them up with Lemon Law and BBB and now I have a 2012 with no wobble.

Stock Bridgestones - 2012 No wobble
Avon Cobras - 2012 No wobble
Bridgestone front Falken CT rear - 2012 No wobble

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Steering stem bearings.

Check with the front wheel off the ground. If it rough turning it lock to lock (using the wheel, not the bars) or the wheel returnd to center by itself, you've narrowed it down.

No, Mother Honda did not pay someone to the 1800's wobble. Never beleive someone when they say "they all do that", because they are not supposed to "do that."

A service writer at a GM dealership tried to tell me that. I asked him if GM paid someone to design it that way, that's when I got some action, and the problem was corrected.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
here i go, the infamous wobble. i now have 30,000 mile on my 2010 1800. i know that the front ends like to wobble on the goldwings. i just put two new avons on it three weeks ago. i replaced the dunlops that had 6000 miles on them and the rear was totaly shot. it seems to me that i have this nasty wobble in the front end, yes its the worst at 40 mph. the bearings were checked all was said to be ok. my concern is that i didn't notice it that bad when i had the dunlop on it. so the big question is. has anyone reduced this wobble by usin different tires. i am thinking maybe the avons aren't the right tire for the front of this thing. i like the avons but hate that wobble. anyone have idea's or experience with this. by the way i did put the super brace on it and i run 42 psi in the front and 44 in the rear
I disagree with some of the above posters.. They all DO wobble, at one time or another. Some are worse than others, some are sensitive to tires, some are terrible. Roller stem bearings usually resolves the problem. Search on wobble in this forum and c couple of the others and I'll bet you get about a zillion threads back. This has certainly been flogged hard over the years.

Now, to answer your question. I have Avon Cobras and roller bearings. No problem, although they are wearing and I can feel a little wriggle, but I can release the bars and nothing happens, no matter what speed or accel or decel. So I don't think Avons by themselves are your problem. I have had experiences where a brand new tire (Dunlop E-3 in this case) started a wobble in a previous non-wobbler, in fact one with a Traxxion Full Monty. We swapped a tire from a non-wobbler (mine) and the problem went away. He went back to the dealer, they swapped his tire, and all was right with the world.

You might try removing the SuperBrace, too. There are lots of opinions about 2 part vs 4 or 5 part braces, so I won't dig into that here. The 2 part SB can disturb the alignment of your forks because it forces them to fit it's dimensions, not adjusting to the forks. A simple way to eliminate it as any part of the problem is to take it off & see what happens.

Good luck, keep us in the loop..

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

The thing is this. Many many a wing does wobble....in varying degrees. But many a many a wing is 15 years old or even thirty years old and the world is still full of them. Myself included have had the oportunity to grab one at a reasonablre price with the know that you have yourself a bike that will be there for you in the the long run. Myself included have also learned to put just a few pounds of pressure down on the bars to counteract the wobble at the first sign of it. Usually just the weight of your arms is enough. And if using one hand at forty MPH then a bit more down pressure. This will remove any chance of a full blown wobble. With those of us who have older wings this becomes a surprisingly easy thing to except........and move on from....... until you get all the links of the chain that lead to the wobble taken care of. Many argue about the more common causes of the wobble....and I have opinion's of my own but the truth is with out addressing all the causes you are kind of guessing your way through. Not to say that acting on your instincts in terms of addressing what you feel will fix the problem is all that bad of an idea. But in the end you must accept that you could end up servicing all that could cause the wobble.

But then I read threads like this and it makes me wonder why a brand new bike has the wobble. Also.....with the "old bike that needs some work" part of the equation is removed I can fully understand why fellows get upset about the wobble. This in my opinion is the one thing that Honda has dropped the ball on. It is just too common.

But lets not forget that other bikes wobble too. I went into a wobble on my sporty at HIGH speed. Now then you have a real problem. I have never experienced a wobble of any kind from my 1100 or my 1500 above 40MPH. Also A friend just told me the other day about a death wobble at 90MPH on a ninja. Wings are not the only bike's that wobble.

For those of you who bought new and have it I feel for you. And personally I would torture them until they make it right.

RED

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I run a CT on the rear and have NO front end wobble.:waving:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I had this decelleration wobble at just under 40mph,this problem is caused byany number of things, ie tyres ,steering head bearings, poor front suspension ,anything that is worn, for me when you decellerate the weight is transferred to the front of the bike causing a wobble only really noteicable when you take your hands off the handlebars The fix for me was new steering head bearings and progressive springs. Now no more wobble while slowing down, i dont need to fit a fork brace now.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks dave, the reason i put the brace on it was because of the wobble. i am going to talk to the guy that sold me the tires and see if i can do the same, swap them out with another brand just for the heck of it. it just seems worse when i put these on. when i first road the bike i was impressed thinking honda fixed the problem. i do keep my hands on the grips but it gets pretty shaky even like that.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave, the wobble is widespread. Avon tyres seem to bring it out very quickly, they are the last tyre I will ever choose on an 1800.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
the bearings were checked all was said to be ok.
Checking them probably isn't good enough. Replacing them with All Balls is the cure in almost all cases of wobble.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
I run a CT on the rear and have NO front end wobble.:waving:
My bike wobbles now, but I believe at least part of it has something to do with the back tire cupping. When I last replaced my tires with bridgestones the wobble was not completely gone, but it was less noticeable. As the miles have gone on, the wobble is getting back to where it was before, however just keeping my hands on the handle bars keeps it from wobbling. This is just what I have noticed so far. When i change my back tire to a CT soon I will be able to say for sure about the CT. I also don't think that it should wobble, but it's not always Honda's fault just like it's not always the tire manufacturers fault. If you like the tires, but they wobble a little bit, my opinion is to keep the tires as long as they are safe. With your previous tires wearing out that quickly, I know that I got at least 10,000 miles from my E-3's and so far about 9,500 from my stones. I run 41 in front and 43 in rear.

·
Administrator
26,530 Posts
imported post

Change to thicker fork oil, wobble is a thing of the past and other peoples bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks dave, the reason i put the brace on it was because of the wobble. i am going to talk to the guy that sold me the tires and see if i can do the same, swap them out with another brand just for the heck of it. it just seems worse when i put these on. when i first road the bike i was impressed thinking honda fixed the problem. i do keep my hands on the grips but it gets pretty shaky even like that.
I have a 2009 with the same issue. I am now in dispute with the shop and waiting for their expert to check my head bearings which I know are good, to tell me there the problem, not the tire. So i have a plan. If they tell me the bearings are the problem, I will offer to let them adjust the bearings, and if it fixes the problem, I will pay for the adjustment. If it doesn't fix the problem they will not get paid for the adjustment and they will give me a refund on the tire, because there is no way I will put another Avon on my bike.

Geoff K

Singleton
NSW Australia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.