Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there. I have a 2008 GL1800 and had a leaking fork seal. Removed the forks and replaced both seals and added the fork oil (485ml right and 529ml left with a level of 128mm). The forks are VERY hard with very little compression. Could this be due to the anti dive mechanism on the left leg or have I got the quantities/levels wrong?? HELP!!!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I don't know the 1800 specifications so can't comment on oil quantity but the anti dive unless malfunctioning only comes into play when the brakes are applied.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Sounds lke your anti dive valve is gone (stuck) first signs are leaking fork seal . the ant dive valve gets stuck and the forks stay solid ,hence the seals going ,I would be 98% sure that your ant dive is stuck .

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ciaran.

Many thanks for your reply. I will strip the brake plunger and check if it is "stuck" out (in??). As a point, are the fluid levels and the actual depth level correct for the 2008? Sorry, I don't have a manual, just picking up info off the net.

Cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Hi Paul,

I just replaced the fork seals on my '06 1800 and the oil quantities that you have mentioned arecorrect. I'm not sure about the '08 forks but I do believe they have the same specs than mine. There is a plus or minus limit on the quantity you add but the end results shouldbe an oil level at five inches (or 128 mm). Make sure you work the fork tubes up and down several times to get the air out of the oil before taking finall measurements.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.