Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just replaced the front low-beam on my right side of my ’03 GW, when I turn the key neither the low nor the high bean was working. The high beam and low beam on the right side wasn’t working prior to installation. The left side works fine. Is there a separate fuse for each side of the front headlamps? If not, any suggests on the problem and possible repairs would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

:?

David

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Have you tried stabbing at the starter button David?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you used the insert plug adapter?...otherwise not plugged in right and if you got big hands its that much more fun.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

They work off the same fuses as the rear headlights.:cheeky1:, just kidding. The high and low beams are on separate fuses but each side of each is on the same fuse. The right high beam works off a relay but the left high works directly off the dimmer switch. Both low beams work off the low beam relay which is operated off the start switch contact through the reverse regulator. If 1 low beam is working the other should also barring wiring problems or bad bulbs. The right high beam could be the relay or the fuse.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I don't understand why only one side is working. I replaced the low beam so if both hi/lo beam was out then the low beam should have worked. I wonder if there is a connector that connects one side to the other, maybe it wasn’t put back or came apart.
Has anyone completely disassembled the front cowl?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
I don't understand why only one side is working. I replaced the low beam so if both hi/lo beam was out then the low beam should have worked. I wonder if there is a connector that connects one side to the other, maybe it wasn’t put back or came apart.
Has anyone completely disassembled the front cowl?
Yes there is a connector. Always replace both bulbs at the same time!

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

No there is no connector from 1 side to the other on the low beams. You need to check for power on the white/black wire in the low beam plug and blue/black in the high beam.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

no? Oppps

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I am guessing that if I find no power to the low beam on one side that's it down the rabbit hole for me. Meaning I would have to remove the panels to find out where it is disconnect.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I'm not a mechanical guru by any stretch, but I did have problems with my headlights. I also thought it was a fuse or a bulb problem. Turned out that the starter button was not retracting all the way back preventing the required connection to the lights after sending power to the starter. I removed the two screws for the shelter for the right hand control system on the right handle bar and separated it. Cleaned and flushed with CRC Electronic cleaner then gave everything a light spray with some spray silicone. Also sprayed the two cables for the throttle. Works great now. Better throttle response too. May not be your problem but it worked for me and kept me from chasing after fuses and bulbs that were good.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
I am guessing that if I find no power to the low beam on one side that's it down the rabbit hole for me. Meaning I would have to remove the panels to find out where it is disconnect.
If you were in there where you could get to the left high beam you would be pretty close to where the wires to the low beams come from.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok, I tested both high/low beams on the right side both were getting power. I replaced the High beam bulb, low and behold the high beam worked, but the lower beam didn’t (ugh). So I stuck my hand back in to check the connection on the lower bean, I jiggled and reset the connection. Walla, it worked. I now have a complete set of working headlands.
After replacing the upper and lower lights, I feel fully qualified to rebuild the engine over the weekend; or maybe not.
Thanks All for your help . . .

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

Dontcha just hate it when things turn out to be that simple? :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Next thing is to replace the fuse so this will never happen again!:badgrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts