Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

At 26,509 miles, the G709 Bridgestone was changed out for another.

Some facts below.

Original front tire that came with the 1800.

Ride-On installed at or about 10,000 miles or so. (Saw no improvement in handling).

42 PSI tire pressures maintained through out the life of the tire.

Tread was worn down into the warning knobs by .025"

Handling at high speeds in the rain with the tire worn, not an issue. (One week of rain every day from FL to MI in July).

Slow speed vibrations, wig wag or whatever was present but not a handling issue. (Steering head bearings have not been re-torqued yet).

Can't say enough about this tire.

Did the Ride-On provide longer tire life? Don't think so, but it was installed for safety considerations anyway. The new G709 does not have Ride-On or any beads as I now rely on the plugging kit.

Most or about 95% of my riding is smooth road surfaces as interstates and very good secondary roads.

The people at Dynamic Powersports in Eastpointe, MI did a fine job of ordering and installing the tire. The rim was cleaned out of Ride-On and the assembly fully balanced, installed and test run. About an hour.

You east side Detroiters have a good shop there.

http://www.dynamicpowersportsusa.com/

Wish tosay thanks to Art Mase and Dan of the Grosse Pointe, MIPolice Dept. for their help.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

This same tire works well for me also. I'm about to order the 6th one. Tho I don't get that kind of mileage.... about 16 - 18,000 miles per tire, I do spend quite a bit if time carving up the twisties and ride a little bit on the agressive side! I run 38 psi in the front tire. No head shake... until the tire is near warn out. Even then it is just slight, and then these tires show me no sign of cupping. Stock stem bearings and no fork brace.
Just goes to show, different people get different performance depending on their situation's.
I agree, It's a good tire in my book.

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

You guys have a lot better luck out of that tire than I did. I got 9000 miles out of one, worn past where I should have ran it. I hated the rough ride of it too. Had to run at 38 PSI or less to be able to bear it.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dave,

There are some anti dive issues on the 1800, front end lock-up that cause harsh front end conditions. The anti dive valve is the issue. It sticks and locks up the left fork. You might consider checking this out. I will be flushing the systems out this winter and every two years.

Hope this helps,

Longboater

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

which tires do you prefer for the 1800 Dave?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

There can be lot's of variables to a rough ride. Anti-dive valve locking up, after market fork springs, over inflation of the front tire, and even hard rubber compound of a tire it's self. Everyone has different ride demands,so the tire that works best for some, may not be so great for others.
I have a friend that runs the Dunlop E-III and swears by them. For me I experienced so many bad issues with his tire that it is on my list of only as a last resort. But then we both love the tires we run.... and that's perfectly OK!

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

26,509 miles from a Bridgestone must be a record, most owners get 12,000 max. I get around 8,000 front and 11,000 rear and really love the Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
26,509 miles from a Bridgestone must be a record, most owners get 12,000 max. I get around 8,000 front and 11,000 rear and really love the Bridgestones.
Hope to get the new one to wear like the front. 42 PSI may be the factor other than a good molding job at Bridgestone.

I have a very large comfort zone with this tire. 90+ mph in a wet test at 26,000 + miles was a good feeling. Hard braking with ABS does have a comfort zone all it's own though. Also I do run a dark-sider on the rear. But that's another story.

Ride hard, ride safe.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I have a '82 aspencade, I need a rear tire like "NOW!" I'm looking at and like the Bridgestone 160/80-16 80H G702, The tire size for my bike is 140/90-16-77H. Will the Bridgestone fit OK. Has anyone used it on the older bikes.

I checked on the tire chart information and the diameter is .3 and the with is .4 larger than the listed (140/90)size. It seems it would work OK??

I have a Metzeler on it now and was disappointed it its performance - it wore out quickly and I am not fond of the Elite III's

Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The G702 if I remember right, is a tubeless tire that fits a tubeless rim. Check out your rim to see if it will accept this tire. The G702 that came with my 07 GL1800 ran for 19,000 + miles. Replaced because the plug worked loose. There is a write-up on this issue under Longboater.

Hope this helps. Also hope someone who knows something about tires comes on and helps you too.

Longboater,

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

Longboater wrote:
Dave,

There are some anti dive issues on the 1800, front end lock-up that cause harsh front end conditions. The anti dive valve is the issue. It sticks and locks up the left fork. You might consider checking this out. I will be flushing the systems out this winter and every two years.

Hope this helps,

Longboater
I am aware of the anti-dive problem. That is not the case with my bike, BTW I change my fork oil annually but that is only once so far on this bike. The stone is the only tire I have had the ride problem with. It was such a good feeling when I changed from the stone to an E3 then even better when I changed the E3 to a Michelin pilot activ bias ply tire (to answer nsjoe's question), along with a Michelin pilot sport A/S 205/55ZR16 car tire on the rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.