Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GL1800 Front Tire Humming on turns
I own a ’03 GL1800. When I am weaving in and out of turns I feel a vibration and hear a buzzing sound from the front wheel. I have checked the tire and I don’t see any unusual wear that could cause the problem. The tires are fairly new and they are Bridgestone G709 Radials
I am looking for any ideas on what it could be. I am thinking that the wheel bearings may need to be replaced, but I am wondering if the speedometer isn’t involved somehow.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
I don't know how many miles are on the bike, but I'd bet the wheel bearings are fine. I've had Bridgestone Exedras and they do get noisy. They aren't the only noisy tire out there, though. Just call it "road song" and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Once again I agree with Dennis.. The stones sing on turns especially after they have 10k miles or so. I really doubt your wheel bearings are bad because it only does it on turns. Look at those tires again closely. Run your hand over the tread. I'll bet you see or feel some cupping just off center on both sides.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Cupping is the main culprit. If you run your hand around the circumference of the tire you should be able to feel the lips of the cupping. It's sort of the nature of the beast. My old Harleys never had issues so I am somewhat sure it is because the tire is a bit on the small size to handle the load of the Goldwing. Some (including me) run a few more PSI of air in the front to help a little. It can start to show up in as little as 4,000 or 5,000 miles. I just live with it. Guess I figure the good outweighs the bad. I can't see throwing out a tire with that much tread even if it sings a little. Turn up the radio if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Sounds normal to me.................

T.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Check the bearings anyway,, itis not the speedo as it is a sensor mounted on the engine and not the wheel . more than likely tyre noise

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
And it may not be the front tire. Rear tires are noisier than the front and you mostly can't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
My Avon Cobra's with 6K on them are doing the same thing - started a while ago and I suspect it's cupping and I run 41/42 in my Cobra's... Front bearings are fine...

Les

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I have never had a problem with Bridgestones making hoise on my GL1800. Now Dunlop EIII's... thats another story. They scream!
I agree it can be the rear tire. That has been the case for me. Check the tires for cupping. The front bearings can also be checked... but I believe it is a tire issue.
Wexy is dead on about the speedometer.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
The main reason tires hum is...........................................................................................they dont know the words

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
The main reason tires hum is...........................................................................................they dont know the words

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
My 2 cents....

My Dunlops had that same sound when turning (leaning). It ended up being a cupped front tire that almost cased me to lose the bike. Once you start feeling a little wobble, or stearing resistance on groved pavement, tar and gravel surfaced roads, or where you run along an asphault seam, replace the tires. The cupping can cause a front end wobble that develops into a tank slapper.

I have replaced the Dunlops (d404's) with Metzeler Marathons, and my old girl has never ridden better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.