Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ciaran's run to Carlingford Lough today was my first decent run since I fittedthe new warranty ECM to my 03, and I was surprised to find my fuel consumption for the entire day worked out at 55.49 mpg! If anyone had told methey weregetting this sort of mileage I would have been sceptical to say the least. The absolute best I ever got with the previous ECM was 50.2mpg. Well worth getting the new ECM if only for the better mileage, even if your 1800 never overheated.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Wingnut, You must have free wheeled to Carlingford to get that kind of M.P.G. :D The best M.P.G. I ever got, and I do a lot of long runs is 48mpg and that is never exceeding 65mph.:cool: My wing has never overheated and has been tested a number of times, re slow driving and hot climate. So its a case of whats not broken dont fix it. Ride Safe. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Bart,
The 04 has the new ECM already. The 01-03 models are eligible for the free ECM as well, which means they willget the same ECM as your 04. Theres a section somewhere else on this site (Buying a Used 1800) and it has all the recall/service bulletins available for download. The only service bulletin that should affect your bike is the one relevant to the trunk lock mechanism (SB15 I think).

Redwing,
I don't think I went over 65 for very long on Sunday either (a bit over 70 for about five minutes as I was at the back of the group, you know how it is when the guys at the front are doing 60 those at the back have to do 70 to catch up). Average speed was about 50-55. Riding two-up as well. I meticulously log every fill-up and always fill to the same point on the filler neck so I get a spot-on reading of the mpg. Consistently riding around town hasn't seen much change. Stop and go riding in chockablock city sees me get around 33mpg post ECM. Previously I got as low as 28mpg. I'm glad I got the ECM simply because it was available, even though my 03 never overheated either (even in the St. Patricks Day parade, which was a real test).

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote

Redwing,
I don't think I went over 65 for very long on Sunday either (a bit over 70 for about five minutes as I was at the back of the group, you know how it is when the guys at the front are doing 60 those at the back have to do 70 to catch up).

Wingnut, I have to caution you.:( "You are not obliged to say anything further unless you wish to do so, but anything you do say will be taking down in writing and may be used in evidence." Over 70 M.P.H. thats two (2) points on your Licence and 80 euro fine. Next Case. It's not often that one admits they were speeding.:cool:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Over 70 M.P.H...

Ah but you forgot the roughly 6% speedo error on the 1800 Redwing!! So really a bit over 70 means a bit under, I bet the wingnuts GPS read a lot under 70! :D:D:dude:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

03Silver wrote:
Redwing. wrote:
Over 70 M.P.H...

Ah but you forgot the roughly 6% speedo error on the 1800 Redwing!! So really a bit over 70 means a bit under, I bet the wingnuts GPS read a lot under 70! :D:D:dude:
03Silver,:) Good point. The speedo error is 5.4%. I will take that into consideration for your client, but im afraid I will have to apply the points to his Licence:( and drop the 80 Eurofine.:?At 67 M.P.H. the correct reading is 64 M.P.H.:cool: Next Case.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
At 67 M.P.H. the correct reading is 64 M.P.H.
Well at 64 he would be well inside the safe zone on the M1 to the North! I'd hate to be in the dock in front of you Redwing, you sound like the HANGING judge! :p:D

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Doesn't riding over mountains result in higher mpg anyway, because of the higher altitude?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

03Silver wrote:
Redwing. wrote:
At 67 M.P.H. the correct reading is 64 M.P.H.
Well at 64 he would be well inside the safe zone on the M1 to the North! I'd hate to be in the dock in front of you Redwing, you sound like the HANGING judge! :p:D
OK 03Silver, I will give your client the benifit if the doubt this time, but dont let it happen again.;)You fellows riding those Goldwings will have to slow down. Next Case. :)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I just got a 03 goldwing ABS. I live in the usa Marylsnd, and I have not had the new ecm installed. I juct checked the mislage at an average corrected speed of 65 mph 70 on the speedo. I got only 39.1 and my brother's 1990, Aspencade did about the same. We USA riders are stuck with 10 or 15% gasahol mix and that hurts our milage. We never get 50 mpg. We now pay $3.00 to $3.30 per US gallon regular grade.I don't think weget what we pay for and no health plan in that price either. maybe some road tax or something. Ha how a bout sending me about 20 gallon so I can see If I get 50 mpg on your gas.

I feel the same way the other wing rider felt " Where is 6th gear" I shift into 5th at 40 or 45mph then just scream it to the cruising speed I wantto hold. Some of those low reveing Harleys can get as high as 85mpg . Well with the torque that the 1800 has it could get better milage too if it turned slower. Say 2200rpm at 65mph. Hell I can down shift If I need to pass a truck on a up hill..

Darrell

Ride with the wind:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

I filled up my wing with Shell Premium Unleaded last week, early days but seem to be getting more miles per gallon than standard. It was a touch over £1 per litre though.

Thats about $8.50per imperialgallon!

:realshocked:

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:Dhi wingnut,my 2001, 1800, has not over heated and returns very good mpg but never the less i would like a free emc unit just for chance!! do i contact honda, on the number at the back of the service manual?

cheers pinkpork

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Hi Andy:

Darrell here 03 wing abs. You brought up a question in my mind, when you talk about gas milage per gal. thats Imperial gal and when I talk thats US gall. whichgallon is bigger and by how much would that account for our wings getting 39mpg while you riders are getting a best of 50 to 55mpg?

Darrell

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

A US gallon is .83 or 83% of an Imperial gallon. So, multiply Wingnut's 55 MPG by 83% and you get about 45 MPG on a US gallon. That puts it in perspective and sounds reasonable for a US Goldwing.(I hope my math is right. It's been a long time since grammar school)

John

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

John:

Those figures help a lot, So now we are 43mpg for wingnut and 39mpg for us. Now I think there is one more thing that will put us both at 39mpg, And that is their trip must be regersting in kilometers not miles. or will my milage go to 43mpg like wingnutwith the 04 ecm [that by the wayHonda will not give me because they say I am not overheating] I wonder how muchthe 04 ecmcosts? Look out ebay here I come. What do you think Wingnut?

Darrell

Ride with the wind:bat:

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

What would take place on MPG for you newer 1800 fellows to drive at or below the torque values of your engines, just for a look see. I do not know where that value is on your machines but would you do me a favour and try it and post your MPG values. My 1100 constantly got 55-62 MPG imperial and I just balanced the carbs so I am curious will it be better, similar or worse and I will mind to stay at the same type of driving that I was doing earlier. Right now the difference is so noticeable that keeping it revved in the lower range is now a trying affair, but for a good check on MPG per the use of doing a balance, I just have to find out. It is really a different bike than the one I bought last August and I have almost no experience with a wing other than what I am learning with this 1980 GL1100.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Imperial gallon is 160 ounces, or 4-40 oz quarts

US gallon is 32 oz per quart or 128 oz for 4 US qts

Imperial gallon is 4.5461 liters

US gallon is 3.7854 liters

As stated earlier ratio is .8326697, down to the nuts and bolts of it

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

wingnut my man, you better have your speedo/odometer checked. I have an o4 and yesterday I used 3.38 gallons on 160.1 miles. Sounds great to get over 47 mpg's. The reality is Honda used defective speedometers/odometers, like mine for example, which cheats me out of one mile in ten. My 160.1 miles was on the freeway and no one except a new BMW passed me on I-8. The actual distance was 144 miles, or 41 mpg's. But let me say if your ride gives you over 50 mpg's, I say that's great.

Mr. Peabody

04-1800

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.