Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 100 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looking good.
A lot of work & different from a GL1500.
I knew the side cover would need work, but not the trunk area.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
imported post

Thanks Skip,

Still running into some issues not sure on. I had to change the shocks. I tried to use the regular shock that goes on the goldwing 1800 and got another from my brother. It didn't work out.It was so stiff it didn't move at all. I ended up getting two coil over from NAPA. It now has flex but hope not too much. If it does I might have to add air bags.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
imported post

Here was another bad idea.:?I tried to use as I stated above the 1800 shock and got another. As you see in the picture the coil over spring is as big around as you index finger. Way too strong and wouldn't give any.:weightlifter:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
imported post

I redone the shocks and the locations was also change. I posted apicture earlier but will repost again so you can see the different. I also made at the top of the shocks on the mounting bracket 1/4 inch steel three holes where I can adjust the height and angle of the shocks in case it needs it so I don't have to cut loose again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
imported post

On the lower support I cut two pieces of angle iron and welded them together and then welded on the bottom of the axle. This way I can run the 1/2" bolt through the first angle with the nut on the back for future replacement.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looks like it's coming along really good.
Should be ready for that Spring driving.

You using scape yard metal like I do when can.
A lot of sanding to get the rust off!:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Cobra 1800 wrote:
Side view of the frame where I tied to the original frame.
When good to go, I would cap the shock mount bracket for added strength.
I like the 3 hole adjustment you built into them. Looks like maybe 1" each.
An angle coil over shock give less weight support & straight up give you Max spring rate.

Looking GOOD.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
imported post

View on left side and showing where I placed the supports. The only problem that may come up is the lower part of the frame will be close to the body. If it hits the body I'll have to redo that part. Alot of putting everything together and taking apart every time you do another step. That the wayit goes. I have assemble and disasemble at lease 10 times.:watching:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Cobra 1800 wrote:
View on left side and showing where I placed the supports. The only problem that may come up is the lower part of the frame will be close to the body. If it hits the body I'll have to redo that part. Alot of putting everything together and taking apart every time you do another step. That the wayit goes. I have assemble and disasemble at lease 10 times.:watching:
And 22 still to come!!!!!:ROFL::ROFL:

A little hint on capping the tubing. Cut it 1" longer ( for your 1" Sq tubing ) then cut 1 1/4" back & bend the tap over to cap it.
Only 3 weld instead of 4.

I like to use 1" x 2" for the framing, give move surface area for support.

PS: you may want to move the side rails in for your muffler clearance.
Don't ask me how I know.
Put the body on & check were they come out.
You going to use the stock mufflers?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
imported post

Hi Skip:waving:

Good idea!!

I'll keep that in mine when I'm sure I don't have to cut loose again. I'm looking at placing an airbag above the center axle for support and ride confort this weekend. Only have Saturdays to work on it.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Cobra 1800 wrote:
Can you beleve it was 15 degrees last night here in sunny Florida?:?
WOW, we only got down to 18.

Plays hell with the fiberglassing.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Cobra 1800 wrote:
Hi Skip:waving:

Good idea!!

I'll keep that in mine when I'm sure I don't have to cut loose again. I'm looking at placing an airbag above the center axle for support and ride confort this weekend. Only have Saturdays to work on it.
Check the Lincoln rear & pump off a Cad.
See my 3 wheeler rear.
Bag come with a one way vale so you will need push button switches.
One for the relay & the other for the pump.
Cut the mounts off also with a SAW-All.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
imported post

Well a real good day today. :jumper:

After looking over the frame and rearend I decided to cut some 1/4 plate steel and drilled 1/2" holes for the bottom air bag to bolt on. It lays on top of the rearend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
imported post

I welded a front plate that come down on a flat surface just past the drive pinion. The back part lays on top of the punkin and the two 3/8" bolts come from under the plate up to the bottom of the airbag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
imported post

On the top I welded the plate to the frame and drill again three holes. Two that the bolts holds the top of the airbag in place and the center for the air fitting. I'll come back later and take that fitting out and run my air line from there to the trunk. Sure would like a little air compressor so I can add the air from outside.:?

Attachments

81 - 100 of 265 Posts