Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Great build! I wonder if you could use a air pump off a GL1500. Don't know if it could pump enough volume but might work. Just a thought. Keep up the good work!!
Bill

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
imported post

Ogrebro wrote:
Great build! I wonder if you could use a air pump off a GL1500. Don't know if it could pump enough volume but might work. Just a thought. Keep up the good work!!
Bill
Thanks Ogrebro,

I'm trying to show everything as I go so it may help someone else. I had a 1200 goldwing that had an onboard compressor for the airshocks. I didn't know that 1500 has them also. It may work. The airbag I'm using will go 100psi but I'll only need around 25psi at the most.

Thanks for that infomation.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
imported post

Tonight I added some more filler on the body. Trying to get back on it while working on the frame. Next I will work running the brake lines to the rearend and connecting to the foot brake. I'll work on that this weekend and show more pictures. Hope this is helping someone out there! :cool:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
imported post

I had took the bike down the road for a short ride to see how the bike did on the first run. The suspension was a little soft and wanted to lean on on side. took it back to the garage and found a blown fork seal.

:?

Hope to get the new seals tomorrow and will also change the tripple tree to the 3 degree

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
imported post

I wanted to keep the air bag in the center and the softer shock so I'm looking to add a torsion bar to stop the leaning of the bike when going around curves. I'll tie it in the frame and rear axle. I'll come back on more picture showing the removal of the forks and tripple trees.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

WOW !!!! I just found your build post and looked at all of it.
Great to see the progress you have made and you are doing a great job. and postingin great detailwhere i can even follow along.
Fantastic work fitment and ideas .keep it coming.

Have fun with your build and it will give you great satisfaction and pride that you built it.
Looking forward to following along.
Oh how i remember all the white stuff dusting around but thats just a sign of work in Progress:applause:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
imported post

Thanks Lightin for the comments!

It's good to get them and know it is helping someone out there. I just got my fork seals in Monday night and will start removing the tripple tree and putting the new 3 degree I got from you. I did get the torsion bar in last Sunday after church and will post more pictures this weekend along with the front forks work.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
imported post

I'm showing some pictures of the torsion sway bar I put in to keep the softer shocks and also not let the bike lean over when going around the curb. The right side shows the welded plate I used to mount the rod that will support the sway bar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
imported post

This picture shows where the frame and the axleties in together. With both sides attached when the bike start to lean to one side the spring steel torsion bar will twist the opposit side causing it to stop the swaying and pull it back upright

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
imported post

Moving right along I wanted to show the removal of the forks and break down on replacing seals. I'm going to replace the triple tree that holds the forks in place with a three degree I purchase from Lightin. Here is a underside view of the bolts to loosen to slide the forks out. As you see the forks are out already.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Movvving right a long----------;)

That torsion bar layout is looking GOOOd.:shock:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
imported post

On the top of the triple tree remove the nut and disconnect the wire plug that runs down the tube. This will slide out from the bottom after you remove the bottom two screws that hold it in place.

Man I pray that the Lord help me remenber where all the nuts and bolts goes!!:praying:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
imported post

After you remove the top tripple tree you'll find another bolt that holds the lower tree in place. Take this nut off. I used a flat tip punch and hammer to do this!:thumpingmad::thumpingmad:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
imported post

After the nut is removed you'll see the ball bearing that will not be used. I'll be going back with roller bearings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
imported post

Now that all the nuts are out of the way:ROFL:and the fork tubes are out you now can tap the top just with the bottom of the hammer and the lower tree will fall out. Here shows the tree out and laying on the floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
imported post

Because I'm going back with the roller bearing instead of the original ball bearing I will have to knock out the the upper and lower race and install the new ones that supports the roller bearing. To do this I'm again using the punch and hammer to knock them out

Boy do I like beating up on things that don't hit me back!!:thumpingmad::thumpingmad::thumpingmad:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
imported post

Finally the forks on the work bench to start the next steps. In this photo I'm showing the side where the dive valve attaches to the left fork. This is held on with 4 allen screws. I didn't show it in place before I remove it but will take a picture when I put it back on. When you do remove it have a bucket there to catch the old fork oil.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 265 Posts