Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
imported post

Another part I didn't show but I will when I put every thing back together is removing the front wheel assembly. Mabe someone wants to just do that so I show details on that on reassembly.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
imported post

Next is the removal of the dust cover. This can be accomplish by placing a flat tip screw driver under the lip and prying it loose. It will come off easy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
imported post

Stand the fork on the end and you'll see a inner locking spring that holds the seal in place. Take a small screw driver and grab it in the open slot and pry toward the fork and it will pop loose.:?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
imported post

After you remove the inner spring you can take the top nut off the top of the fork. The spring won't have alot of tention on it so don't worrie about it all flying out. You'll turn it upside down to finish drainning the fork oil out in a bucket. With a few slides back and forth of the fork tube the seal will come off along with the bushing. Watch how it comes loose to reverse the way it goes back in. You'll have a bushing, a washer then a seal, theclip and last the dust cover. The inside you'll have the inner forkloading rod assemble, fork spring then the spring washer and last the cap nut.

The last part is to put the allen bolt back in the bottom.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
imported post

On the right fork you go throught the same preceedure as on the left side. The only different is you'll have to perload the piston that is on the right side before you place the top cap on. The way I did this is to pour some fork oil into the sleeve of the fork tube with the main spring out. Pull the small rod out and you'll hear the piston filling as you're pulling up. Push it back down and do the same thing again untill you clear all the air out and you have a good strong pull with no air. Turn the fork upside down a remove any extra oil in a bottle. It won't drain what is inside the valve that you filled. Measure the 16.5 oz of fork oil in a measuring cup and pour into the top of the tube.Then place the fork spring in and the washer and last the cap.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
imported post

After installing the left tube in the triple tree you can attach the anti dive assemble back on and them remove the top cap and pour 17.5 oz of fork oil into the tube. You'll see some bubbles as the dive valve is refilling with oil. This is why the left side takes one more once of oil than the right side.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

Looking good keep up the good work .hope to get back on to my trike project this weekend (see glennuk) hope to get things back to normal
Glennuk

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Cobra 1800 wrote:
Now that all the nuts are out of the way:ROFL: and the fork tubes are out you now can tap the top just with the bottom of the hammer and the lower tree will fall out. Here shows the tree out and laying on the floor. 
I missed any description for the wire, is this for ABS?

Oh, btw, excellent thread!!!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
imported post

No SCB, The wire is for theturn signal cancel switchand it runs down the tube of the triple tree.

I'll try to remenber to take another picture this weekend and show the rubber cover it's under

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
imported post

I ordered new brake pads and K&M air filter to work on this weekend but didn't come in. I ended up doing income tax this weekend and my Honey Do List.:kissing:

Anyone know what I mean??

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
imported post

I work on the front end Saturday putting on the brake pads and calibers. There was two screws under the plastic that goes to the triple tree I had to put back in and it took me two hours on that! :sadguy:

Have you ever had those days where it's easy to get them out but you can only get a finger tip on it to put them back on?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
imported post

I guess it's just one of those days in the Man Cave!! I took off the bolts to get to my air cleaner and a little mouse built him a home on the top of the filter!!:ROFL:

When you set your bike up trying to build the trike you have some unwanted guess try to move in. Good bye little buddy!!:waving:

Back to the project, I finally got the old filter out and replaced it with the K&N filter. Took it down the street for a test ride to see how it cornered after placing the sway bar. Went GREAT!!!

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Test riding !!!!!!!!:applause::applause::claps::action:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
imported post

Cobra 1,

I have started with a body I bought from Skip that was for a 1500 Goldwing and modified it to work on the 1800 Goldwing. As in prior pictures I re-glass the front and top over again to make it fit. I welded the frame and swing armfrom scratch. I used the same principal of sprint car that use rod end. The price of a Champion kit is around $8,500.00 and so far I have around $1,900.00 in this build.

I have the paint included in this price. I will custom paint it with candy blue. Hope this answered your questions

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

WOW, When do we get to see that Candy Blue paint job?:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
imported post

Skip,

That is aways off for now. I tore everything back down getting ready to sand and prime the frame and axle. That will be a couple weekends

121 - 140 of 265 Posts