Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

141 - 160 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

builds going well and looking good .did you have to extend the prop-shaft?
and do you have to have trikes tested in the USA after there built to say they are safe and been converted to a trike from a bike?
keep up the good work
glennuk

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
imported post

What I did on the drive shaft was took the original drive shaft and disasemble the gear part in the back rearend assembly. When you get it out it looks like a pinion gear on one end and a spline gear on the other with a spring. I measured the shaft going to the pinion side and cut that part off keeping the spline side with the spring. I then allined everything center and level and welded it to the end of a chevrolet drive shaft. It sounds more complicated than what it is but I take pictures of this and post what I did. I forgot to show this part.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
imported post

Also when finish I'll have to send a statement that I'm a certified machanic to the insurance company and thats all there is. Here in Florida you have to have a motocycle license besides your car license to operate a motocycle but that different in each state here in the US. You're not required to have a builders licens unless you are doing it for a living and selling alot of them. In the past alot of guys have taken Volkwagons and turn them into three wheelers.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

thanks for that cobra. for my shaft i have got 2 1500 shafts lying around in the garage .i thought if i cut 1 and use that for the front .then cut the other one for the rear because the 1500 rear is a tight fit inside the suzuki prop next to the uj.
i thought weld the end of the suzuki prop( butt up to the uj) to end of 1500 shaft then weld and sleeve the 2 shafts together what do you think?
thanks glennuk

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
imported post

Here are some pictures I took today after I painted the shaft. In this photo I showed how I cut the base of a regular shaft off another vehicle and then welded the shaft from the oposite end to it. The spring holds pressure on the entire shaft and keeps it from slinging out from either end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
imported post

I took some more pictures from under view of the forks. Just above the plastic cover is where the turn signal cancel switch is located at. The wire I showed earlier that came from the top of the triple tree goes down the center shaft to a switch that is under that plastic cover.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
imported post

The under side of the tripple tree. Under the cover in the center is where the turn signal cancel switch is located at. It runs down the center tube and connect here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

Cobra 1800 wrote:
When building the ladder bar make sure you have the body on first to see where the rearend is center. I also took measurments from the center of the axle and outside of the axle to make sure it was square and not shifted. After everything is square I marked the jacks stands to make sure it don't move.
hello,just to ask what size are those rod ends.having only two at the front can the bars move sideways?nice looking job,

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
imported post

ade747,

The rod ends are 1/2inch and I tied them into the original place the swing arm came out of. I took the end caps that hold the original swing arm and drill a 1/2inch hole in the center. I placed a 1/2 extra hard bolt through it and welded on the inside and around the shaft of the bolt on the opposite side at the base. I then cut it off on the right side enought to clear the drive shaft. The finaltime I will put them back on I'll use lock nuts and lock thigt.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

hi cobra is every thing ok as we haven't had any posts lately?:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
imported post

I have been working on the body again trying to get some primer on it and getting some undercoat put on the underside. I have spent all day Saturday on that and will start posting some more pictures within the next few days. Next is disasembling shocks, shock mounts,and placing the body on the frame to install to the existing bike frame. Due to how the body is made I can't assemble everything and then place the body over it all.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
imported post

To answer the question on if the ladder bar would let the rearend slide from side to side the answer is no. With the two ladder bars comming back on each side and connecting to the rearend I have a 1" tube with rodend the connect directly across to tie the left side and rightside together. Then from the left side I have another tube that goes from theleft front to the right rear ladder bar. This keeps the rearend from shifting left to right and shifting. I'll go back over some of my pictures to see if I can post that part again

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
imported post

This picture shows the ladder bars and the two tubes that was describe. When setting this up you have to install both ladder bars but preload one side. By preloading one side is adjusted about 2" higher than the opposite side and then push down onto the bolt. This keeps pressure and the slack off. As seen in this photo the cross and diagonal tube keeps the rearend in place and stops any shifting from side ways or drifting. Hope this help answer that question

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Looking good keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
imported post

Thanks Lightin,

Hope you are doing well. I'm trying to fit mufflers and seeing where I can puthangersat. It's really getting compact under the body. I'm trying to work an hour or two after work to finish up alining the body to the frame and side covers. I still have to run brake lines, wiring harness, and extra support.

141 - 160 of 265 Posts