Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

161 - 180 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
imported post

Today started working on the brake lines for the back calibers. I had two steel braded lines made up. To connect I applyed the foot pedal to see which hose let the brake fluid out first. That line went to the right side and the other line went to the left.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
imported post

Now comes the hard part. Trying to get the body lined up to the frame and to the front side covers. The frame had to be attach first at the front lower part and then the body next. The trunk stay has to go after the body is in place andthe shocks mounts goes on the outside of the trunk stay. After everything is in place the rear frame is now raiseso the top mounting bolts can go to the bike frame. I wish I could have bolted everything first then slide the body over but it won't clear the shocks mounts and front frame.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
imported post

Here is where I'm looking at the tire clearence. Theleft side has a little adjustment but the right side has too much clearence behind the tire. I'll have to detach the ladder bar and move the axle back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
imported post

Now that I have the body in place I went ahead and bolted the body to the frame. I'll come back later and adjust the axle so I have equal distance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
imported post

At this point I won't take the body off any more. I will paint the body on the bike to keep from scratching and also to spray everything at the same time. Candy paint will change shades with different air pressure and adjustments of the spray gun. That is why I want to have everything ready to spray so I won't end up with different shades of color. That part is still aways off.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

It looks like a trike you are doing a good job .
after you have bleed the brakes get the pedal pumped up and either tie down or I use a short screwdriver. to wedge it down leave it there forget about it while you do the other stuff after several days ,a week or so all the micro fine bubbles will work up to the resivor and escape out the tiny vent hole you will have the best brakes. then keep up the good work and shareing with us.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looking good, cant wait for you to swing by for a test drive & cruising.
The Candy RED will look good next to the Pearl YELLOW!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
imported post

Thanks Lightin,

I had my wife pumpthe pedal several time while I open the bleeder valve but I will take your advise and do that. Always good to have sound advise. That why I like this site.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
imported post

Hi Skip,

I'm planing to go to North Georgia for my vacation. Close to Tennesse border in September. I'm wanting to take my bike with me. The only problem is my trailer I have is 60" wide and the trike as you know is 57". On the painting the candy color is blue. I though I put that on the build but not sure. Any how that will take several days to do. I'm planning to do some airbrushing on it. It has been awhile that I have done that. I post the steps when I get to that.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I've been trying to quess a couple of things and that's not working
so I'll ask. First is the wheel base stock? And second how wide a rear axle
assy. are you using?
thanks w.h.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

Down right good looking w.h.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Wacko12howard2 wrote:
I've been trying to quess a couple of things and that's not working
so I'll ask. First is the wheel base stock? And second how wide a rear axle
assy. are you using?
thanks w.h.
The wheel base is a little longer, center of wheel sits about the center of the trunk.
The body is 68" wide & I make them with fiberglass for the GL1500.
Cobra 1800 has modified the GL1500 body to fit the GL1800 side covers & smaller trunk.
He has done a great job on the body for the GL1800 & may be selling them later, not sure.
The tail light for this body are from a Honda Del Sol.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

With diffrent rake trees the wheel base lenght will be diffrent. may be he will put a tape on and shout back at ya ! rule of thumb is if you extend the rear axel out ward towards the back about 2" to 4" back past the spot where the bike rear axel was it does ride smoother and Handels much better.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
imported post

Thanks John OPPS!!

It has been a long procress doing this work. I only work on it Saturdays due to having a full time job. I going to do some measuring for the questions that is being asked. I'll post them within a day. I have alot of sanding to do in order to get the body right for painting. I'll start with 320 and work up to 2,000 grit wet and dry paper.I'll post the reasons for each part of the painting so if someone wants to do the same they will know how I done it. I hate to try to learn something and can't find out how to do it. I feel that all has gifts and to share them with others makes you a better person. Skip is one of those that shares his knowledge of fiberglassing and his gift!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
imported post

Due to the questions asked for the dimensions from bike to trike.

I took the time to roll the trike out into the world and take some more pictures. In the next pictures it will show the original bike dimensions in yellow and the new trike dimensions in black.

First one is the wheel base.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 265 Posts