Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The goods news is that I was fortunate enough to get a new-to-me 2004 GL1800 recently. It seems like a great bike with ABS brakes and only 14,000 miles on it. It also has an extended warranty on it until September. Two minor problems -- the brakes were squeaking a little and the cruise "set" button sometimes doesn't engage. So I thought I would take it to a dealer and have those two issues addressed and just have it checked out for anything else it might need.

Now the bad news. They told me I needed new brake pads so I had them do it. When I got the bike back and headed down the interstate I heard a pretty loud chirping sound that gets louder the faster I go. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like cicadas or locusts if you know that sound. This was without applying the brakes. Then when I got into a quieter road and lower speeds you hear the brakes squeaking or rubbing, even without engaging them.

I immediately took the bike back and they deglazed the brakes and cleaned everything out again. That stopped the squeaking but the cicada sound is still there. Any ideas as to what's causing it? They also changed to synthetic oil, if that matters. I also have some questions about the cruise control but I'll put that in another post. Thanks.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I don't know anything about antilock brakes, other than they are controlled by a computer, so I don't personally like them. But brake pads are always rubbing on the discs. that is normal. You usually don't hear it while riding, but if you lift the front wheel up and spin it by hand, it will be very noticeable. Assuming it is not the antilock part, it may just be a different kind of brake pad. I don't know what the 1800 is supposed to use, but I have always used non metellic organic pads on all my bikes. I have been told that metallic, or "sintered" pads will make a noise, and I know for a fact they will grind up the rotors.

It the noise fairly constant, or does it repeat like chirp chirp chirp chirp really fast? That could be caused by slightly warped rotors. From your description, it does sound like maybe they used a different kind of pad than what was there to begin with, or else they got something wrong, like those little anti-rattle clips might be put on backwards, and could be touching the rotor.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Center stand it and spin the wheels to see if you can track it down.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

:18red:Did they check out the run out of the rotors? I was just reading that they are to change the pulser rings when changing the brakes. Are Wing is an 03 but was going through on how to remove rear tire when I read that.
There is a product for cars to stop the chipping and new brake squeal I use it on ours not sure if it can used on the Wing though.
Or maybe they over torqued the wheel?
I'm sure with the knowledge base here someone will have an answer.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies. It's a very fast chirping and becomes a loud whine by the time I get to 40-50 mph. I'll try getting the front wheel off the ground and see if I can hear it,

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I have an 04 and I just recently changed the brakes. About your first post on this, I'm thinking WOW, 14,000 miles and you had to change the brakes??? I changed mine at 26,000 and the back ones were still fine. Any ways, there's a anti squeak grease that you can put on the back of the pads that would reduce the brake chatter. I don't think there are anti chatter clips that are on the bike however I know from doing it myself that if the breaks are not in the right place in the caliper they are very difficult to get on and when on would cause excessive rubbing when the brakes are not applied. There's a piece of metal in the back of the caliper that acts like a spring. Part of that spring has a tab that kind of holds the brake pad in place in the caliper. If the wheel is hard to move or doesn't spin fairly freely when it's off the ground then I would check on those springs and make sure that the pads are in the right place in relation to them. Next time I have my tires off I'll take pics of the calipers.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi reckhart, did the technician ride the bike after doing the work? If he did, he should have known there was still a problem. Second thought, does this Honda store sell many GoldWings? If not, you will want to find one that does. The noise you are hearing is definitely not normal and the technician should know that. I agree with pcfix, the brakes should not have needed replacement at that mileage but that is now water under the bridge.

As for the cruise problem, the switches on the 1800's are junk both handlebar switch packs on mine have been replaced under warranty because the switches simply failed to operate. Usually however it will be the push on/push off switches that fail first. As you know, you are running out of time with the warranty, so find a store that knows about GoldWings and stay on them.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Most common cause of the cruse not engaging is when after market brake and clutch levers are installed. They don't engage the micro-switches to let the cruse set.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
imported post

reckhart,

Did they change the brakes on the front? I know you do not need to remove the front tire to do the brakes. But did they for any reason? I have had this sound on an 1800 I worked on. I found this sound to actualy be the rotor rubbing on the fork. They are a close fit and I did not have the axle fully in place whenI torqued the nut down. This left enough play for the rotor to rub slightly on the fork. There should be a line in the left side of the axle. Make sure the line is all the way to the edge of thefork.

BMS

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks, I really appreciate all the replies. Here's where I'm at on this. I have three Honda dealers within 35 miles of where I'm at. I chose the one that was furthest but had the most positive recommendations from people I asked. I had two issues: 1) squeaky brakes, front and back; and 2) cruise control not working.

This was the result of my bike being in the shop for a week. I ended up spending $335.00 and got an oil change, which I don't think I really needed, and new brake pads all around at 14,000 miles, which I probably didn't need. The cruise control wasn't addressed because he said it would be a minimum of $350 and said there was only a 50% chance that what he was going to try first would fix it.

This is what I think I know now, thanks to the experts on this forum. The cruise problem is probably the switch on the front brake lever. I have aftermarket levers and when I push it out the cruise works. So that probably won't be covered under warranty.

On the brakes, I took the bike back immediately because they were squeaking after the new pads, even when they weren't engaged. He did test ride it this time and said he didn't hear anything unusual. So I rode it around the parking lot in front of him and he said, "Ok, I hear it now." They cleaned everything out again and "deglazed" the pads. That stopped the squeaking but it still has the cicada chirp. They told me to drive the bike at least 200 miles and he thought the problem would fix itself. If not he said he would put a different set of pads on. I've driven it about 300 miles since and the sound is still there as loud as ever.

Now I need to decide whether to go back to this guy or try another dealer. FWIW, the tech that did the work on my bike looked about 19 years old. Not that he's not good, but he can't have much experience. I know I should try to do this stuff myself, but I'm very limited on mechanical knowledge, and I really feel that you should be able to go to a Honda dealership and get the work done correctly.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289937&highlight=goldwingrgreg
you might want to check out this thread on the other forum. Sounds about what might be your problem. Ive seen this once before also. The owner did their brakes on a late model wing and added centramatics and didnt check the clearance. You could hear the cicada sound as he drove down the street.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well, things are better on my brakes. As I mentioned before, I took the bike back and they tweaked them and got rid of the squeaking, but still had the cicada sound. He said drive the bike and the pads will bed in. I've put about 500 miles on it since and the chirping is getting less and less so, hopefully, problem solved. And to give the service manager credit, he told me that the new pads may be noisier than my old ones and that if I wasn't happy he'd replace them at no charge.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Probably just lazy calipers not retracting fully with new pads. Ride until the noise dissapears or return to dealer within your labour warranty .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.