Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an owner of a motorcycle repair shop. I have a customer's 2001 Gl1800 that makes a growl noise at idle and during decelerating intermittently. I used a stethoscope and noticed it was noticeably loudest on the alternator. I replaced the alternator and it didn't make any difference. So now I'm thinking it might be the bearing that is inside the crankcase but I'm looking for other options and if anyone has heard of this problem on an 1800

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I am an owner of a motorcycle repair shop. I have a customer's 2001 Gl1800 that makes a growl noise at idle and during decelerating intermittently. I used a stethoscope and noticed it was noticeably loudest on the alternator. I replaced the alternator and it didn't make any difference. So now I'm thinking it might be the bearing that is inside the crankcase but I'm looking for other options and if anyone has heard of this problem on an 1800

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you replace alternator with a new one, or a used one that had at least been opened up and inspected? I just had my alternator replaced, (2006) and it was a bad bearing in the alternator. Sounded like a vacuum cleaner.
gumbyredd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only has 45k for miles

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
To me,
that sounds suspiciously like the ADG.

Pull the Alternator and start the engine and see if the noise is still there.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
It sound like im going to have to get to work on removing the engine.
You know there had to be a few failures if they came with the acronym ADG
I like John's idea. Then you can put the stethoscope right on the area and listen. 🎅 .

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
Mine sounds terrible, always has, I'm about 1 ride from 100K and my 08 sounded the same. It is worse since the last oil change, I bought some Castrol GTX motorcycle oil, going back the the rotella next time.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
My 2010 growled from new. It was finally discovered that 2 of the front fender bolts did not have rubber washers. Quieted right down. I think, a dealer told me that is the way they shipped from the factory. Too long ago. Someone can correct me.

This is most likely not your issue, but thought I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
557 Posts
Pretty sure only two of my front fender bolts have ever had rubber washers - and now they're new ones since my last trip to the dealer resulted in one of them going missing, and one of them magically transforming into an O-ring :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Have you pulled the engine yet?

A bad ADG (What Honda calls it) growls at idle. Sounds like ball bearings in a can.

The noise should go away as you roll on the throttle (1,000-1200 RPM's)

The problem is the Stamped steel collar that is supposed to hold the two Half clips in place.

Middle Bottom in the picture.

The Retainer is supposed to look like this.

The OEM Retainer is so sloppy from Honda. that it eventually the centrifugal force causes the clips to break the retainer at its weakest point (Where the tang is)

A good retainer next to a blown out retainer.

I made a custom Retainer. Its been in my ACG for 9 years now and 84,000 miles.

Honda changed the ACG design in 2006-2017.

They still fail, mileage makes no difference.

My first ACG went out at 37,000 (Due to warranty I couldn't replace the weak retainer)
The second ACG went out at 93,000 miles. At that point my warranty was out.

This is when I installed my Custom retainer in 2011. I haven't had a ACG issue since then.

I work on Goldwings and have all the tools needed to rebuild the whole engine. (You only need a few to remove the engine from the frame, and get the rear cover off to access the ACG.)

You should replace both ACG bearings (F&R)

BTW- there were a few guys who changed the older 01-05 ACG for the fluid dampened ACG starting in 2006-2017
Only to have it too fail after the mileage racked up.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. (Or where to buy the Improved retainer & removal tools)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Mine sounds terrible, always has, I'm about 1 ride from 100K and my 08 sounded the same. It is worse since the last oil change, I bought some Castrol GTX motorcycle oil, going back the the rotella next time.
I have a friend with a 2010 that has had a rumble from his since new. (I used a mechanics stethoscope on his.)
His rumble is nothing like the noise from the 01-05 ACG's.
He has 86,000K on his now. His ACG hasn't failed yet.

I bet you both have loose fitting ACG bearings.

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
I have a friend with a 2010 that has had a rumble from his since new. (I used a mechanics stethoscope on his.)
His rumble is nothing like the noise from the 01-05 ACG's.
He has 86,000K on his now. His ACG hasn't failed yet.

I bet you both have loose fitting ACG bearings.
Mine is not nearly as bad as in the video & as I said, it is almost 100,000 miles and my 08 did it from new and had 122,000 on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts