Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2001 goldwing and my head set will not work . My buddy's headset works on his bike and my headset works on his bike but neither works on my bike. HEELLLP

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

OK, I assume you know how to run the audio system, and that you have an audio source present, and that you see the headphone Icon on the screen, not the speaker icon, yes?

Does the headset work on the passenger hookup?

If it does, take that cord and try it in front. If not,

Have you checked to be sure the headset audio cord is plugged in under the left pocket?

Is this a new bike to you, and it never worked, or has it worked in the past, and just croaked?

What kind of headset is it? Different headsets have different foibles, although the fact it works on your buddies bike, and his doesn't work on yours really points to something in you audio system, not a headset issue.

Do you get power to everything? No possibility of a blown fuse?

Is there anything else that doesn't work? Lights, cruise, remote open, fogs?

Does the audio provide output to the speakers?

Your possibilities her include:

Bad audio unit
bad audio cable
Disconnected audio cable
Switchology malfunction (not set right)
Power issue, either in or to ground

If anyone wants to chime in with anything I might have missed, Please.. Do...

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes all lights come on when buttons are pressed, but no sound through headset. :?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, I tried it in the passengers' input plug, it does not work there either.

I took the left pocket out to check to see if the audio cord was plugged in, and it was.

Bike is a 2001 goldwing. I've had it for 4 years and have never attempted to use audio plug until three days ago. I have this headset that is made like headphone but contours around the edge of my helment, it is very feasible comfortable.

I'm getting power everywhere else. Audio through speakers is GREAT.

Just don't understand:?:praying::stumped:

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

So, nothing comes through the headset, either rider or passenger, but the speakers work. And you have an audio source you can hear through the speakers, and if you change to headsets (headset icon on the disply, not a speaker icon) And the volume is up, you're not mutes, your switchology is right?

I did some cruising on the other boards, and I found a couple of things that might help.

Somebody suggested removing fuse #22 and letting it sit for a while. This de-powers the radio unit, and lets it bleed down, so you get a reset. Sometimes they have a brain-fart.

Another problem like yours was resolved by finding that the driver's headset cord had been pinched by the aircleaner cover when someone did a filter change, and it shorted the headset part of the system, and no workie. You'd have to pull the shelter to check this, but it seems like a pretty good possibility on a 2001 bike that has certainly had the shelter off, and I'd hope the filter changed.

There are other places the wires can get pinched, you should check them all the way back. And, perhaps unplug one, see iif the problem goes away, then the other one. That would eliminate a shorted connector/wie on the bike side. Unless they were both shorted, which is very unlikely. Possible, but ....not likely.

This thread is interesting.. Looks like it might apply..

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224775&highlight=headset+broken

I've jumped my '03 , audio on, with no problem, but who knows?

A bike that is the age of yours can have corroded pins in the connectors, too.

Do you have a CB? (I'm guessing not) Is the squelch all the way up if you do?

This probably isn't it, but is your intercom mute turned down? (Left volume button, push once? twice? I forget.. turn it to zero.

The only other thing I could think of is the big plugs under the radio on the shelter. If those aren't plugged in tight, you can have problems.

If the headset wires are OK, and nothing else works, I'd think it's the audio unit itself.

=D

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks, I feel that you are on target. I took it to Ron Ayres motorcycles in Greenville, N.C. their service department said that the shelter will probably have to come off to see if the wires are plugged in tightly. I wished I knew how to take it off myself. Thanks so much, you are certainly on target.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

You're welcome.

I hope it's a simple fix (read cheap) for you.

Pulling the shelter isn't that big a deal. Kind of a pain, but no rocket science. I'll fil you in on it sometime.

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I looked at a video on Youtube by Steve Saunders on how to remove the shelter to replace the air filter. It was very informative and in detail. I feel that I can do it. I just need to mark and take notes as I disassemble, so i can replace everything properly. Thanks again!
PS His videos are great!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
How does the story end? I have the same problem on the same year GL .... Did you ever figure it out?
Welcome to the forum Doobie

This is a 2 year old post and the OP, Snapper101, hasn't posted but only 8 posts total and he may not be reading this. The forum was updated last year and if he didn't log in and update his preferences he won't get an email that you posted. You can try and PM him to get a response and ask him to post the fix here if you copy and paste the link in the PM.
Unfortunately there are many posts that the OPs never have posted a reply how they fixed the problem. Posting the fix completes the posting and helps others that do a forum search as you did looking for an answer.:readit: So be sure and post a reply back what you find.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I just finished dealing with the same issue on a 2003. Tried swapping headsets and everything else that you've been going through. I finally contacted the folks at Sierra Electronics. One of their service techs. informed me that this has been an issue with the early 1800s. He said that they've fixed hundreds of them. So I pulled the radio, sent it to them in Ohio, and for $120, they made the repair and sent it back to me. The whole process took about a week and I'm now enjoying tunes in my helmet again! Good Luck and keep us posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.