Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Heated Grips and Seat not Working.
Anyone had this problem? I checked the 5 amp fuse and there is no power getting to it the fuse is fine. 20 amp fuse is fine also I could do with a wiring diagram its a 2006 GL1800.
Thanks
John.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Heated Grips and Seat not Working.
Anyone had this problem? I checked the 5 amp fuse and there is no power getting to it the fuse is fine. 20 amp fuse is fine also I could do with a wiring diagram its a 2006 GL1800.
Thanks
John.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
probably on of the grips (more than likely the left one )or the grip controller has given up the ghost and that will stop the seat or the other one from working , also there is a built in setting on the comfort pack that wont allow the seat or grips to come on above a certain tempreture .. I dont know what that setting is ,but I do know there is one , Ciaran

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
John,
Short answer.
Usually the left grip is the cause of the failure.
There is a lengthy trouble shooting process to go through. It is outlined in the service manual.
I ended up having to learn to check the system myself as I tried 4 dealers in my area w/one saying they knew how to service the comfort system.
The one that said they could do it, told me there was no heat in the passenger back rest. I responded your correct but, there should be. He replied no, there is no heating element in the passenger back rest.
The next sound he heard was me hanging up the phone!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
John
Is it below 45°F? That is the minimum temperature they will come on or as said, left grip is first spot to check. Use the repair manual.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help lads,-don't have a repair manual for the 1800
What's the best way to check which circuit is not working? is the seat and grips on the one controller?
How come theres power to the 20amp fuse and now power to the 5 amp fuse?

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
John
Is it below 45°F? That is the minimum temperature they will come on or as said, left grip is first spot to check. Use the repair manual.
That's a new one! Previous posts, on several boards, suggested 60F.
However, I don't think there is anything in the seats that dictate at what temp they "come on"!
One must be setting on the seat to feel any warmth at all. But that does not mean you need to be on the seat for it to work!
While they may warm your bottom in cool weather, when you "suit up" for cold weather, what little heat there is does not penetrate!
Never understood heated seats anyway, my bottom is not what gets cold!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Just spoke with the tech at the dealership on a strange problem with grips that I am having. My seat always heats up but the grips are strange. On first start in the morning the grips will start to warm then go stone cold. When I shut the bike down completely and restart it the grips work every time all the time for the rest of the day. The tech is completely stumped and is contacting Honda Techline.
He told me that there is a relay that supplies power to the seat and grips. I suspect that the relay may supply power to the controller first to allow the proper power to flow to seat and grips depending on temp setting. He indicated that I should check that relay first, then move on to the controller. He did say that the seat and grips were not tied in to any kind of temp. sensor, they should work all the time regardless of outside temp. There is also the possibility that the rheostats in the temp controllers are dirty or worn out but he did not tell me how to check those.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
You might have a bit better luck getting help with the problem if you post it in Technical forum or at least general area instead for Forsale section.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Fuse 29 (20A) is hot at all times. Fuse 11 (5A) is hot only when ignition is in the start position. If you have no power on Fuse 11 with key 'on', investigate that first. BTW, the wire that supplies power in the fusebox internally to fuse 11, also powers fuses 12-16...I believe it is black. It's possible to 'spin' the fusebox and remove the back to check the internal connections.

It's true that if a grip fails all other heaters will quit working. I've personally replaced several failed grips. I've also replaced one faulty controller (the one that controls the backrest). I've heard of (but not personally seen) at least two heater control units failing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 5 amp fuse,#11, comes from the ignition switch and should only be hot in the "on" position, not the run position. That fuse supplies power to the heater relay coil and the heater control module.Fuse #11 should have power coming into it from a blk wire in the fuse box. After going thru fuse#11, the power leaves via a red wire with a blk stripe and goes to the heater relay and the heater control module. Since fuses 12,13,14 and 15 are all powered by the same wire, if those fuses have power, the blk wire is OK. It could be a connection to fuse #11 from the black wire behind the fuse box or a bad connection of the fuse blade to the fuse box female connector. You could hot wire the fuse#11 direct to the + battery terminal to test the system. If fuse #11 is the problem, the system should then work.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
In Norway a lot of people have had this problem, and it`s, with no expectations been the controller for the passenger seatheating, thats been the problem. Try test that, with an OHM-meter:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
The 5 amp fuse,#11, comes from the ignition switch and should only be hot in the "on" position, not the run position. That fuse supplies power to the heater relay coil and the heater control module.Fuse #11 should have power coming into it from a blk wire in the fuse box. After going thru fuse#11, the power leaves via a red wire with a blk stripe and goes to the heater relay and the heater control module. Since fuses 12,13,14 and 15 are all powered by the same wire, if those fuses have power, the blk wire is OK. It could be a connection to fuse #11 from the black wire behind the fuse box or a bad connection of the fuse blade to the fuse box female connector. You could hot wire the fuse#11 direct to the + battery terminal to test the system. If fuse #11 is the problem, the system should then work.
Fuse 11 supplies power to the relay coil and the controller but the actual power for the heaters is fuse #29 which goes through the relay contacts then to the heating elements themselves. The controller varies the ground to control the amount of current flowing through the heaters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.