Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

On my 2006 GL1800, with comfort package, zero heat from grips and seats. There was loss of continuity on left grip, replaced it, now there is continuity on both grips, but still no heat from grips or seats. Today, following Honda's bulletin for diagnosising the issue, I find there is continuity from the heater relay to the heat control unit on both the grips circuit and the rearseat heat circuit, however, there is no continuity from the heater relay to the heat contol unit on the front seat circuit. There is continuity throughout the front and rear seats themselves, so there is no break in the heating elements in the seats. I then did a test on the rotary control dials for both the grips and front seat. This turned up a weird, or so I thought, result. Across both switches (control dials) I was able to read 2.9 K ohms.
When I checked the resistance on the grip switch, from one lead to the center tap lead I got the following: OFF 0.0 K ohms
1 0.9 K ohms
2 1.6 K ohms
3 2.2 K ohms
4 2.6 K ohms
MAX 2.8 K ohms

When I checked the resistance of the front seat switch, from one lead to the center tap I got the following: OFF 2.9 K ohms
1 2.8 K ohms
2 2.6 K ohms
3 2.2 K ohms
4 1.6 K ohms
MAX 0.9 K ohms

in other words, the front heat switch is showing opposite readings compared to the grip switch. I did another test on the front seat circuit, checking for continuity from the heat relat to the heat contro unit, and I rotated the setting on the switch, but still there is no continuity. Does it not seem odd that the fron seat controlling switch is giving these readings? Any other suggestions, or ideas? Thanks, all assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

The grips are usually the problem. They go bad and take the heated seats with them. There are many threads discussing this, you will find some in the forums index A-Z, others by by using the search, faster than having to repost what's been done many times already.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

The readings are in fact not right, but then again, they are good. The variable resistance on the grips, should have been taken from the other lead to center and everything will show correct.
I am not sure if there are 3 leads coming from the variable rheostat, but if so, the readings are correct, just taken from the wrong side.

:18black:

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

Have you checked for power on the Y/R wires at both pins 2 & 5 at the seat connection?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

What is the ambient temperature? There is a thermistor in the circuitry that cuts them off at a certain temp. I know mine go on and off when it is not too cold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.