Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know I saw it here someplace, but I'll be danged If I can find it. How many people with 1800's have had problems with their heated seats and grips. I have a new (last April) 2010 and when I tried the seat and grip heaters last week, nothing. Any suggestions before I take her to the stealership for service. Aleady checkd the plug and the fuse. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

What was the ambient temperature when you tried them? I seem to remember reading on here that they will not work below about 50* farenheit, IIRC.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The temp was probably in the 50-60* range, not quite sure at thise time.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

They don't work above 54*F.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

They seem to be problematic anyway, and we see lots of posts about the problem here.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I can see testing things to make sure they work at higher temps, but why would you want a heated seat on at 50F or above?

That's the one part of me I think never got cold yet and I rode pretty cold temps for just jeans.
Butt was nice and warm, legs and feet got really cold.

Maybe those gals were right, maybe I got a HOT BUTT LOL

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
That's the one part of me I think never got cold yet and I rode pretty cold temps for just jeans.
I thought the same thing until I got a heated seat, man that's nice. Helps the whole body stay warm.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I don't know what the ambient temperature needs to be for the seat to work, althoughI do remember reading something about that also,but my has used hers and it worked fine at 53 degrees. She could feel it through her First Gear winter suit (she gets cold easy). I used mine for the first time riding recently in 29 degree weather and it felt good. The grips worked good also, although my finger tips got cold.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

mine has worked everytime it wasbelow 54 degrees.

I wish that I could fool them into believing 64 was 54 though:smiler:

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

beenshot wrote:
mine has worked everytime it wasbelow 54 degrees.

I wish that I could fool them into believing 64 was 54 though:smiler:
I bet you could and pretty easily by adding some 10K ohm resistors to the thermistor circuits.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

yes Dave that would work and I may give it a try. I have fooled many cadillacs theft systems with resistors and this would be no different, just have to figure out the right resistance and exactly where to tap in to it.

I can't see what it would hurt if they would work in a little warmer weather.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

10K ohms on each side of the thermistors would give an extra 5*c. (about9*f). 1 each in the blu/gn, blu/wt, bl/y and bl/r wires to the controller.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

had same problem last year took off the shell and found connectors that go to handle bar heaters check for continuity.mine was the throtle side gone put new grip on seat worked and grips.every thing is connected to gether if one goes down they all stop working.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Today my grips did not work, but seat worked like a charm. The seat actually got too hot. The temperature was about 25, so I know that was not the problem. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on an 07 bought new. First long trip in 2C weather and the system crapped out half way there. After that it would work now and then. The dealer replaced the seat, heat controller, and finally the grips which were the problem to begin with. Let the dealer fix it, it is a warranty item.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The grips seem to be the cause of the problem in most cases, judging by the amount of posts on the forum about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.