Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I installed an HID conversion on my GL1800 and put the ballasts tucked in between the fairing and the fairing pocket on either side, they fit right. However this does leave them up against hard plastic and I noticed they get hot. Now so hot they burn to touch but hot enough you take you finger off immediately when you touch. I let the GL1800 idle for 30 minutes and nothing melted but I am interested to know the experience of others.

Where did you put the ballast? Is being against plastic an issue?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

have had mine in the right pocket of my 1200 for several years w/o a problem,just wouldn't want them to be mounted flush to the fairing plastic is all
are we talking about the normal ballasts or the digital ones? the regular ones may produce more heat than the slim digital ballasts

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

I had them in my 08 for over 3 years velcroed to the inside of the fairing with no problems. They usually don't even get very warm but I did have one in my truck that got very hot and died within it's first hour of use. For that reason I tested the set I am going to put in my new one in my car for a few days, they got just barely warm.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I finished converting mine last night and I suspect tucked them in the same location. Mine are the slim digital ones but they do warm up. I guess we will see over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.