Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

Like a dumb a$$, it was sunny and 40ish this afternoon so I decided a quick drive was a great idea. I was making a sharp rt turn at a stop sign and hit a patch of slick road and the bike wouldn't respond to my effort to turn. Needless to say, I went just off the road hit the berm , clipped a mailbox and off ripped the left rearview mirror. Luckily I wasn't moving fast at all so no injuries other Han my pride. The mirror was hanging there so I disconnected the 2 harnesses that were still attached and there were three smaller wires that pulled free from somewhere. I jumped back on and rode home but now, I have no speedo, tach, gear lights and it seems like she wants to die when I downshift to first gear.

I guess I'm wondering if you folks can give me some insight with regard to why the gauges aren't working. Obviously I'll need to replace the mirror unit since the bracket snapped in half. I'm just curious if there is an auto shut down of the instrumentation when the mirror gets smacked.

I'm hoping this is something I can replace myself or am I looking at a major fix?

Thanks in advance for any help. BTW...my bike is a 2002 gl1800

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I can't help with the 1800 other than to say you might have popped a fuse or two. Glad to hear you are ok otherwise.
Try to avoid the ice riding for a few months and then give it another go.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I can't help with the 1800 other than to say you might have popped a fuse or two. Glad to hear you are ok otherwise.
Try to avoid the ice riding for a few months and then give it another go.
Take a look at fuse #21.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I might have a bracket in my storage unit, whole mirror, just no glass mount.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the offer Stu. I guess it isn't the bracket that broke, rather the "pig Metal" piece that allows the mirror to rotate (?). I looked at that thing and couldn't see any way to take it off as it appeared that there is a pretty heavy duty ring that keeps it in place. From inspecting, it looks like the only fix is to replace the mirror assembly alltogether. So...I ordered 2 new mirrors (R&L) so that they match. The right one had some scratches and such from the previous owner.

I am pretty lucky that was the only real damage. I woke up this morning with a stinger on my hip but thank God I was wearing my helmet and armor jacket/leather pants. I looked at my jacket and there was lots of road rash on the upper back area and I know I dragged my head on the pavement a little cause I heard the grating sound. That Schuberth C3 probably saved me from a real bad outcome.

I WILL NEVER RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!!!!!!Or my Nitro armor jacket!

It's amazing....I was only going maybe 2-3 mph but once I hit that berm and clipped the mailbox, I knew I had problems.

Thanks guys!

Lucky Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Glad you are OK Kurt and welcome to the forum too.
Lucky on that ice for sure.

Salvage all you can on this assembly as Mother makes all her profit on this one item for sure.

I wiped out my left one on a steep hill while parking. Yup, moments of embarrassment. But, three people from the area materialized like magic to help me out. The Hills of San Francisco, grade 4 and up.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
imported post

The most important thing is that you were not hurt - the bike can fixed - hey - s*** happens - don't beat yourself up over it...

Les

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I am really glad you are ok, the bike can be fixed and like you I never go anywhere with out my helmet of jacket and chaps. good luck and ride safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.