Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

A few weeks ago I had a leaky fork seal on my 2003. Took the forks off myself and bought them to Honda to have new seals installed. Parts and labor were about $260. Installed the forks and was 300 miles from home when I hit a bump and the left fork seal exploded. Oil everywhere!

Called the dealer and he told me that I probably had a bad fork tube and that it would be alright to limp home. This sounded suspicious to me, so I decided to take apart the forks myself. I discovered that the mechanic installed things incorrectly!

The spring seat that sits between the fork spring and the spacer was installed under the fork cap. When I hit the bump, the spring was driven INTO the spacer causing the seal to explode! I'm not really sure what was damaged or bent inside the forks.

I take the bike on long trips and I want to make sure that the bike is 100%. I plan on going back to the dealer to show him the evidence of what took place. The spring and the spacer are still jammed together and pulling them apart may be another ordeal.

What is my recourse at the dealership. Is asking for 2 new complete forks reasonable? What is my next step if they tell me to go scratch? Thanks in advance for your input. Scope Down Bob

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Stop what you're doing. By even removing and inspecting, you could be giving them recourse to back out. They will most likely repair, but you can forget about getting "new" parts. Yours weren't new.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not sure on this. You should have taken to dealer AS IS! They would have to fix it then. Like gl said. Since you took it apart..not sure on this part of it.
I don't think they will give you new forks UNLESS they and you come to a comprise or they take full responsibility and the failure actually damaged the tubes/forks.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...Called the dealer and he told me that I probably had a bad fork tube
You'd think he'd (whoever the tech was) know that. Clean, inspect, repair is the standard formula. Did his inspection catch a bad tube? ...Apparently not or he would've advised for repair.

... and that it would be alright to limp home.
Absurd. Cheaper than the shop coming out to get your bike, ...no doubt.

... This sounded suspicious to me, so I decided to take apart the forks myself.
No problem there. It's your bike that failed while on the road. They should be grateful that you didn't wipe-out and kill yourself when it happened.

... I discovered that the mechanic installed things incorrectly!
A 'mechanic' that cannot assemble a set of forks should rethink his career.

"New" tubes... ? Maybe, maybe not. Another inspection needs to happen. Preferably by someone who knows what they are doing.

Get quotes for a full rebuild from other shops - OF BOTH FORKS.
If they choose to blow you off, charge you again, or in general dismiss their techs ineptness, ...don't threaten court but go file a claim against them for 35% above the highest estimate and add another $500.00 for down-time.
Call your courthouse and ask the clerk of the Civil court how much to file a claim. Have the Sheriff deliver it. Many areas are $35 to file and $35 to deliver.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
I think they would only be obligated to fix that one fork, new forks would be way too much to ask.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
At least they should provide new seals ,fork oil,and the spacer. Use as much tact as you can when speaking to them,let them know you trusted them to do the job right your life depends on it and all that good stuff,also that now your having to do the job your self to make sure its right.bring up down time and anything you can think of with in reason that your out because of the mistake.maybe just maybe they would say we will take care of it and refund your money.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Another good reason to do things yourself. People don't take the time and care on other peoples stuff like they would their own stuff.

Scott

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...Don't forget the other fork. Them new parts ain't new no more.. If I have to put a seal in twice then there has to be something wrong. That new seal went in once, along with that bushing. One time, that's it. Who's to say that the fork ain't bent now, ...afterward? Who's to say there is nothing wrong with a disc now? Caliper seals?

I'd cover every base...
Any shop would've pre-checked the bike and made record of it ...but no bike.
You did your inspection though.
So, ...what's wrong with your bike? ...that wasn't wrong with it before?

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
297 Posts
I would say they probably will state that, "if you wanted to work on your bike, why did you bring it to us?"

By touching it, you most likely removed all obligation on their part....but, depending..... on your attitude, they may step in to help resolve, just because........

Remember, everyone messes up, as we all get our turn......

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Get quotes for a full rebuild from other shops - OF BOTH FORKS.
If they choose to blow you off, charge you again, or in general dismiss their techs ineptness, ...don't threaten court but go file a claim against them for 35% above the highest estimate and add another $500.00 for down-time.
Call your courthouse and ask the clerk of the Civil court how much to file a claim. Have the Sheriff deliver it. Many areas are $35 to file and $35 to deliver.[/QUOTE]

+1 :bow:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I would say that if you repaired it after the shop, you could take them their bad parts and possibly get your money back, if you paid by CC then contest the charges if you can.

Repairing the forks to complete your trip in a safe manner wouldn't be out of the question in my opinion.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
While the problem was originally caused by defective workmanship by the shop, you destroyed all evidence of that by taking things apart. I don't use shops for motorcycle repairs, but from what I understand, their incompetence is getting worse all the time, as their labor rates continue to go up. This is a job I would do myself, but I understand not everyone can. One nice thing about Goldwings is that there are a lot of Goldwing specific independent shops out there, that usually do better work than a dealer. We have one nearby, but I don't recommend them, because they admitted using non moly waterproof grease on the final drive splines.

You can try to get something out of the dealer. If it were an AZ dealer, you would likely get nothing, other than being told to get lost. But I have heard there are better dealers than that out there, you might get lucky. On the other hand, if their mechanics are incompetent, what does that tell you about the rest of the dealership?

While I certainly wouldn't recommend it, I have ridden many miles on forks with no oil in them. You really can "limp" home that way, especially if the other fork is ok. But it's hard to believe a dealer would advise you to do that, due to liability concerns. Another sign of a not to bright dealer. I'm sure they would deny having told you that.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
It is imperative that the undamaged shock be opened and inspected as well. If they put one together wrong they most likely did both wrong.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
You really should have been taking pictures of all of this. But, as BusDriver said, chances are the other fork was assembled incorrectly too. Take pictures of what you have now, and take a witness with you when you take the forks back. Ask to be there (with the witness) when the other fork is taken apart.
Oh, and have the book with you, so if there are questions about how things should be assembled, you have Honda's word to back you up.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
It is imperative that the undamaged shock be opened and inspected as well. If they put one together wrong they most likely did both wrong.
This is exactly what I was thinking too. And to protect yourself from them claiming whatever they want to on the blown out one, have them take apart the still unblown one, in your presence, for the "proof" to their own eyes that it was assembled incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I would take them back to dealer to have them fixed properly and I would not want the meckanic who did the job the first time to touch the bike .. Be polite but firm

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
bee8ch. i notice you're in NJ. surely you know someone with a cousin named Vinnie that can give the dealer a "tune up"?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Contact Honda of America corporate, file a complaint against the dealer.

A family member had warranty work done on his 2004 1800, dealer scratched the paint tried to cover it up with fingernail polish and claim they didn't do it.

A complaint registered with corporate and the dealer was calling him to bring it in to be properly fixed no charge.

Afterward the dealer refused to work on any Goldwing of any year, the same dealer franchise was revoked by Honda and now in bankruptcy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.