Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I installed a new Optic Armor +2 windshield on my '07 airbag wing. Now the bike feels the tires are flat. All air pressures are ok. Bike seems unstable like going over certain road surfaces gets squiggly if that's a word. While making a right turn at about 25 mph, the bike from under me and I almost down. Felt like the rear wheel coming the rim. I check ground for oil spill and nothing visible. So my question, does a taller windshield and change in drag on the bike make it handle so different than with factory windshield?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
A taller windshield shouldn't give any drastic change like that.
Did you check the lug nuts?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tire gauges I used is maybe 3-6 months old. 2 different ones. I thought it would change some at higher speeds but not like this. Again feels like riding on a flat. I will take to mechanic to check but not even sure how to explain it. I will also go to tire shop and let them check pressure.

There was no activity that could or should have loosened lug nuts, but I will check in morning.

By the way, on the Optic Armor web site, the pic of windshield and Camaro on main page is my car and bike after I installed windshield. (Bragging rights lol)

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/motorcycles.html

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
The symptoms that you describe sure sound like bad or loose steering stem bearings. Check the head bearings by putting the bike on the center stand and moving the handlebars violently back and forth and sideways. Really bad steering head bearings are felt at the rear tire.

Scott

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I aired up my front shocks recently with a air hose that was shut off. In other words I drained my air from my shocks. Especially when turning slowly, felt like tire was coming off... scared my bad... was not so bad going straight, but turns were bad.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
A different windshield might make a tiny difference at highway speeds but certainly not down around 25 mph. If your bike is still in warranty take it to a dealer for a look see. If not I'd check the bolts holding the final drive to the swing arm and make sure the rear wheel lugs are torqued properly. Also put the bike on the center stand and try moving the rear wheel side to side to check the swing arm bearings haven't come adrift. The clamp bolts on the triple tree should be checked for tightness. Check the play in the steering head bearings by straddling the bike, holding the front brake on and rocking the bike back and forth. If you can feel any slop in the forks that way the head bearings need attention. Also have some one hold the front wheel from turning and wiggle the handlebars back and forth to make sure there's no play in the wheel bearings. You can jack up the front of the engine with the bike on the center stand to check for slop in the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I felt and heard today while riding, as I lean to turn (was zig zagging in lane) I heard what sounded like something rubbing. So now I'm bothered. I'm not the MC mechanic so going to shop ASAP.

Will definitely have front end and rest of suspension checked.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I guess if there is good news in this thread, it is that it is highly unlikely to have anything to do with this screen you have recently splashed out on. :)

Hope the fix is easy enough and let us know what the outcome is please.
:waving:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Come on! If your "tank" looked like that, wouldn't you "ride" more?

If problem is bearings, would I be feeling it in the rear as well as the front?

Assuming that your problem is not caused by humping your fuel tank based on your avatar......

Your steering stem bearings and/or your front wheel bearings need attention.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Could well be. If the steering geometry is altered at the front, it is going to have an effect on the rear too. Then again, it could possibly be something wrong at the rear, so it needs checking out as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Come on! If your "tank" looked like that, wouldn't you "ride" more?

If problem is bearings, would I be feeling it in the rear as well as the front?
Yes, I would... but I prefer my wife to my fuel tank, but that's just me....

First, take care of your front end. Problems there tend to "telegraph" back to the rear end. It's your STEERING; don't go cheap or light there, Brother.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Now, I am not saying that is the only objective for this system has been developed, but it could be very useful for individuals who are very PVP or POI spirit, but their buddies are not. This system gives them the buy GW2 gold opportunity to be factor of two guilds for both their interests and their buddies. Players are not needed to be in multiple guilds or even one of the Guild Wars 2 gold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Diablo 3 gold | WOW Gold | Runescape Gold
Spam alert!!! Wish I had the missile launch codes to blow this one out of the water.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Took bike to mechanic. He says everything feels fine. Lug nuts tight, steering bearings good, no slack or slop anywhere. Rotors not warped, wheels track fine. he did not feel what i felt and only responding to my complaints. Only possible cause is minor cupping on front tire. Took to another mechanic, he concurs. Tire cupping could make bike twerk a bit while making turns. Has anyone else felt this? I ordered a new set of bridgestones g704/709. They appear to be a fan favorite. And damn, the dealer wants $100 per wheel to mount. But having it done for $50 per wheel.

And ironically, I had been looking at a suspension upgrade. Would love the full on traxxion but a lil too rich for my blood. Guys at Wingstuff recommended a Progressive front cartridge, all balls tapered bearings, and traxxion rear spring. Does anyone have any experience with this set up?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Blimey!!! and I thought we were getting ripped off in the UK!!!!! :shock:

$50 to fit each tyre!!!! :shock::shock::shock:
Most places here offer free fitting, even if I guess we are paying a bit within the price of the tyre, it still wouldn't be as much as that. :lash::?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Dxlnt1 - Sorry to appear narrow minded but I really don't think your avatar is in good taste on a family oriented forum. One of this website's rules since it's inception is all posts and pictures must be suitable for all and that avatar doesn't seem to fit in with the requirement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.